Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are these bugs fixed yet?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:36 PM

I'd like to upgrade to W10 again because it is nearing the end of the free upgrade and W7 is becoming dated. However, in every time I've upgraded to 10 I've had these two main issues:

1) Start menu or taskbar icons not working after some time

2) Runtime Broker slowly eating up almost ALL of the RAM, making the computer extremely slow until I end the process

Have these two bugs been fixed or are there any programs that fix them?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:41 AM

As an avid Windows 10 user and Windows 10 researcher, I would say that those two "bugs" are isolated. Most people do not experience any problems and the reports of those two bugs are rare thus making them isolated to particular users. They are probably hardware related and as such they have not been fixed.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

1) Start menu or taskbar icons not working after some time

Most definitely NOT fixed. The root cause of this issue appears to be registry mishandling during user logon (probably a windows bug). I have done a lot of research into this issue (see my replies to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608833/automatic-update-caused-your-start-menu-isnt-working/page-3#entry3992276 ), however I have not yet been able to capture a process monitor trace of the mishandling occurring, and so have been unable to complete my analysis.

I have to diasgree with Rocky Bennett in that it is an isolated issue (in fact I believe that the underlying bug is extremely widespread), however I believe that in most cases, the affected users do not recognise that they ave been hit by this issue. In many cases the issues experienced are not Start Menu malfunctions, and additionally Windows can in many cases silently fix itself on next logon. An example of  other failiure symptoms can be system tray icon order/visibilty temorarily changed, or loss of settings in apps, sundry software experiencing issues (oftern fixed by a 'reboot' [logoff/logonon actually]).

Some software (Dropbox is one example) sets registry permissions that happen to prevent the "silent fix on next logon". This in NOT a bug in dropbox, it is Microsoft's dodgy sticking-plaster repair routine. In this case, the issue is much more likely to progress so the start menu critcal error which does not repair on logoff/logon/"event 1542 on logon" state, or to become non-trivial to repair.

If "hit" the best thing to do seems to be to recognise it immediately, and to log off/on. I have a scheduled task that runs at user logon which setects that the issue has occured and warns me. I can then log off/on immediatelty to let the cleanup routine do its work. I also uninstalled dropbox (with it installed the repair is much more convoluted than a simple logoff/on).

If "hit", the worst thing to do is to carry on using the same logon session - The 'corruption' stemming from the registry mishandling will become increasingly more critical the longer that the faulty logon session is used.

Is the issue still present? - Absolutely - the most recent time that I was hit was yesterday (a couple of days after the receiving the latest updates). I It ied to be hit on maybe 2% of logons.. I have sen the issue on multiple systems. It is a major reason for me vetoing deployment of Windows 10 at my workplace.

If you are able, you could take a system image of your current system, to the ugrade to gain the digital entitlement for your W10 on hardware, then restore your old OS image until you are ready to move to 10.

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users