Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get evidence on pirated Windows 7 in a government library?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Random Bob

Random Bob

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

My local library is using pirated Windows and a pirated version of Deepfreeze.

Now, I can file an RTI(Right to Information) application to get the data but they generally say OS is preinstalled.

So first I want to go in, get proof. Print it in their own papers and attach them with the RTI.

I have full admin access except for the fact that there is DeepFreeze preventing modifications to the system.

I saw with my own eyes the IT guy installing Windows to all computers using a pirated single Key. And ofcourse the crack of DeepFreeze.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

Hi -

2 quick items and I will go away if the answers are correct -

1 / You say >"I saw with my own eyes the IT guy installing Windows ETC."<, but was it a typical multi legal OEM PRO type install, or another crack way ? Example, would be a local kid with computer smarts, and not an IT PRO ....

2 / Was the Deepfreeze also not a multi licensed version, again like OEM installs ?

These can be hard to pick if you are not a qualified IT Pro, and Please Note, I do not question your credentials in any of these cases..

Just saying to "Be Careful" or you could be the one in the firing line (so to speak).

Thanks ..

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

I saw with my own eyes the IT guy installing Windows to all computers using a pirated single Key. And ofcourse the crack of DeepFreeze.

First of all, it looks like this computer is the property of the employer, is this correct.

How do you know the installation media was pirated?  Just because the IT tech was using a single product key does not mean that it is pirated.  Since this looks like these are work computers it would be normal for the company to have a Windows multi user product key.  I can also see the advantage in using a program like Deep Freeze, this program restores the computer to its original configuration each time it is started.    

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

Hi -

Not forgetting you, but if you have evidence (we are not your local IT police) but we will offer any reasonable advice you may want ..

Regards ..

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:16 AM

FWIW:  I really don't see this as an appropriate forum question.  The Win 7 forum exists to assist computer users in resolving personal system problems...there seems to be no mention of such in the stated topic and questions re "gathering evidence" imply (IMO) some sort of administrative/legal action.  If you are talking about a system belonging to a library, then the library personnel in charge of the aforementioned systems...would seem to be the proper channel for such questions, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users