Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update failed/ Nvidia Geforce Experience fail

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Magdalena

Magdalena

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Having 2 different problems, one lead me to find the other so I'll try to break it down.

Window's update is on automatic but I've been having problems elsewhere so I decided to make sure things were at least up to date first. It says I have 3 major updates, all associated to a "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 on Windows 7", and each time I restart to install updates it doesn't work, or when I attempt to install updates manually I get Error Code 66A. Finding the Window's update issue stemmed from a Nvidia Geforce Experience issue, which will not open. It says "Geforce experience encountered an error and must close" every time you try to open it. Discovered this problem when trying to diagnose why my framerates in League of Legends all of a sudden started to drop in combat. So considering this all started at the same time, I'm hoping its all the same issue but I doubt I'm so lucky. I've run window's fix it which failed fixing the Window's update issue and lead no where from there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

Might help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2507641

Follow the steps in the article carefully and let us know how it goes or if you need further assistance with it.

"Geforce experience encountered an error  seems to relate to a user config issue,as in these threads ((Note second reply on first thread,

ie. Open the file in notepad (its an xml file basically) and change the value of IsUserPersisted to False. eg

change this:

<setting name="IsUserPersisted" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>

to this:

<value>False</value>

</setting>

Edited by Wolverine 7, 17 June 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#3 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

Do you want geforce experience and Microsoft .Net 4.6.1 RC just get it.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#4 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:07 AM

Might help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2507641

Follow the steps in the article carefully and let us know how it goes or if you need further assistance with it.

I followed the first 3 methods to their finish and each one failed and the 4th method I followed to step 9 which wants me to install .Net frameworks for Windows OS' older than 7 and are not compatible so I stopped there. Nothing worked at it actually increased the amount of failed Windows Updates to 6 from 3.

"Geforce experience encountered an error  seems to relate to a user config issue,as in these threads ((Note second reply on first thread,

ie. Open the file in notepad (its an xml file basically) and change the value of IsUserPersisted to False. eg

change this:

<value>True</value>
</setting>

to this:

<value>False</value>

</setting>

Can't seem to find the thread you were talking about so I don't know which file you mean. Can you link the thread?

I followed the first 3 methods to their finish and each one failed and the 4th method I followed to step 9 which wants me to install .Net frameworks for Windows OS' older than 7 and are not compatible so I stopped there. Nothing worked at it actually increased the amount of failed Windows Updates to 6 from 3.

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

This page might be helpful http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/53140-63-security-updates-fail-reattempt-boot-fail try it once.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

Can't seem to find the thread you were talking about so I don't know which file you mean. Can you link the thread?

Weird,dont know where they vanished to...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3avdkd/geforce_experience_encountered_an_error_and_must/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/47tacx/geforce_experience_encountered_an_error_and_must/

Here,s a checklist of win update issues and repair or reinstall instructions,let us know what you decide or if you need any assistance with further steps.

https://www.winhelp.us/reinstall-windows-update.html

Also you could run Windows Repair All in One - Install it - Create a restore point and Registry backup and set it to fix Windows installer(msi) and Windows update.(Just tick those boxes and no others).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#7 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

Well I've gone through it all and nothing has worked. These are the current failing Windows Updates and error codes for said updates as it stand:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB2901983)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3122661)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3127233)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3136000)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3142037)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3143693)

Breaking down what I've done so far as simply as possible (for those that don't want to read all the replies)

I've run Microsoft's Fix It wizard (too many different versions I care to list)
   I've run Microsoft's .Net Framework Repair Tool (version 1 and 2) 
   I've manually downloaded each update and each failed with fatal errors
   I've run Microsoft's .Net Framework Cleanup Tool and reinstalled the necessary .Net Framework downloads (again, failing with fatal errors)
   I've run a Check Disk with "Automatically fix file system errors"
   I've Windows Repair All in One

In one of the multiple versions of Microsoft's Fix It Wizards (Windows Update Troubleshooter) I get Windows Update error 0x80070005 not fixed.
Installed SubInACL tool, performed the recommended reset.cmd in guide.
After finishing, I re-ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter, still got the same error.
Attempted to install updates through Windows Update and received a new error code after the updates failed; Code 80070002
Followed http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070002#1TC=windows-7 in which I removed the temporary update files that Windows uses to identify updates.
Checked for updates again and installed which failed again and circled back around to Error Code 66A and Code 643.
Installed System Update Readiness Tool, tested updates again and still getting the same 66A and 643.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

This isn't looking too good not to mention being frustrating.

Did you try Options 3 and 4 from this link?

https://www.winhelp.us/reinstall-windows-update.html

If you didn't you could give them a try,if you did your probably looking at a re install unless someone can come up with anything we haven't tried.

What kind of Install media did your system come with if any - can you do a factory reset on it?

#9 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

Not sure that will help her either i had a devil of a time with my win 7 updates after a reinstall and it would all ways fail at that net framework update.  i said "f" it and let it in the the update box and it fixed it self after a week after shutting down and waiting it to fail the update.  Not sure if you wanna go that route though.  I to have a Nvidia card but never suspected that was the booger given the thing failing.  ya might wanna do a reinstall and let the updates do their thing before you reinstall your card?  Hope everything work out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users