Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speculate, what made processor run hotter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

The past couple of days I noticed that my Processor on my laptop was running warmer than usual, Normal is 46-48 degrees Centigrade. It started running at 60-62 degrees Centigrade. 

The computer is an older Sony Vaio VGN CR190 with a T7800 Core 2 Duo. I have made no recent changes to the laptop. The only changes are regular Windows 7 updates.

After attempting to find a problem and not finding anything, (out of deseration) I re-imaged the Hard drive this morning with an image I made two weeks ago.   The processor is back to normal 46-48 degree temps.

What could have caused this problem, for now I have blocked all Microsoft updates except for Windows Defender.

Any ideas????? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Z123Killer

Z123Killer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

I am not an expert in computers but i could've been malware possibly

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:29 PM

It's possible you got a bad update. It wouldn't be the first time. I remember there was some KB update that had to do with service Wuauserv Microsoft's update service and it ran the cpu at like 100% load.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Because heat is an enemy of electronics, especially laptops, I recommend air-cleaning the fan exhausts [dc3 is a great source on how to do that].  Then using a usb-powered external cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].  True enough!  Software and/or updates, "hard-drive thrashing" [maybe], can lead to proc temps rising, laptop running hotter; The cooling assembly will not only buy you time as you troubleshoot the software/update side, but also keep your laptop running cooler over all.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 June 2016 - 06:35 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

It's possible you got a bad update. It wouldn't be the first time. I remember there was some KB update that had to do with service Wuauserv Microsoft's update service and it ran the cpu at like 100% load.

I could see that causing a problem. 

RolandJS, thanks for the reply. I replaced the T7100 processor with the T7800 back in February. The fan, the ducts were all thoroughly cleaned before assembly. Everything worked fine until Wednesday, that's when I noticed the higher temp. I took the cover off and looked at the fan, a little dust but nothing real bad. 

Fortunally I image the drives off all my computers the first Friday of every month. I re imaged the drive this morning and everything is back to normal

That's why I think this was software related. Which is weird because I thought in the Sony, Bios controlled cooling.

I'm going to Google updates and processor overheating. For now Updates stay off.

Edited by Ranger SVO, 17 June 2016 - 07:39 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

FWIW:  The max operating temp for that CPU is 100 Celsius.

AFAIK...any number of factors may increase the temp reflected for a given CPU, both hardware and software items.  My systems temps go up when I run certain apps...I assume that this is because the CPU is working harder when those apps are used for certain functions.  For me, this occurs primarily when I am running video editing programs and rendering changes/edits.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users