Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows asks if I want to replace a folder ...of a different name!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

I hooked up a hard drive via Ata to USB bridge to recover data from a hard drive on a laptop that the screen doesn't work. I had a 'pictures' folder on the desktop and the usual 'My Pictures' folder in my user folder, when I try to move the pictures folder from the desktop folder to my external 2TB hard drive after moving the my pictures folder, Windows insists that the two have the same file name which you can clearly see in the screenshot that they do not. It is saying that they are the same name and asking me to replace it because they have the same name but it really is asking me to replace a different folder with a different name. I Googled the problem but only results asking about how to have two folders with the same name showed up, there is nothing about windows saying that they are the same name but are not. How do I fix this? see screenshot:

wgEIg8z.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

I used to have this on xp all the time moving folders around.A head scrambler.

Have you tried renaming the "pictures"folder to something that wont confuse Windows?You can always name it back once its in. Also just make sure to check you hav,nt got a partial copy in the External.

Also instead of "Copy to" maybe try just "copy"and paste it in.

Or try something like...make a copy of the pictures folder on the drive your copying from,rename it,then "move" not copy that?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

My Pictures and Pictures definitely can be the same directory, folder.  You might be better served by your Windows by renaming the folder to anything other than My Pictures or even Pictures, then copy the folder's contents from source to target's folder.  After target folder has the contents, then delete said contents from source folder.  This is just me -- I leave Windows Libraries / My Documents section alone.  I have all my programs create to, save to, copy to my D partition folders.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

Other than the display not working, is the computer operational?

Are you using an external monitor to navigate through Windows?

The suggestion to use the "Send to" option would be the simplest to use.  Right click on the file you want, select send to in the options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users