Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tell me MS is not getting sneaky!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:15 PM

I have a small laptop that I only use on trips and places where I may have to wait!  I had not used it in a few weeks and decided to fire it up, I have a habit of checking for updates.  In check for updates it showed it was up to date, I went to run a program and noticed it was quite slow.  Performance monitor showed high CPU usage, a little puzzled I rebooted and was informed one of one update was being installed.  I said Whoa, I have my settings to down load but let me choose, 3035583 the "10" kicker made it through.  I have since took it up a notch, obviously MS is getting around the let me choose option.  I deleted the sneaky culprit and checked GWX control panel for any changes still set at Full Stop "10".  Seems we have to be more diligent they are coming for us hold outs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

Also check your systems regeistry too, I did and found GWX had snuck back on my laptop {again} even with GWXCP updated {it thankfully stopped it from installing said 'update' at the time} But the windows registry was indeed screwed with by MS remotely to allow the GWX key, thankfully there is no value or DWord set so it is safe to assume to remove that registry key ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:31 PM

You didn't say witch version of Windows 10 you have.  If you have the Home version, you have ZERO choice in the matter of updates.  If updates requiring a reboot come along, it will usually let you wait until you reboot.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:49 AM

7 Premium not 10.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:53 AM

7 Premium not 10.

Then you should post in the Windows 7 forum.  This is the Windows 10 discussion one.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

7 Premium not 10.

Shh! Microsoft will hear you. :P

I have my settings to down load but let me choose, 3035583 the "10" kicker made it through

That's not acceptable. I know someone whose machine was forcibly upgraded a while back. They do not like Windows 10 so far. Personally I've been running 10 since last summer, but I get why many people refuse to.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

Post#1 "I have my settings to download but let me choose, 3035583 the "10" kicker made it through"

I've heard of things like this happening before, with other updates infact long before windows 10 even existed. You're right though, it's not ok at all. I would suggest putting your updates so they only check automatically, and don't download anything until you give permission, that has worked for me so far, though I worry that ms may do something someday before the end of July to get windows update to ignore my choice here and download and install KB3035583 without my consent.

Post#2
Do you also have updates set to download but not install, or do you have them set only to check automatically and leave download up to you? As for that registry key, the best thing to do is change it to the value that is (atleast supposed to) prevent gwx. But make sure to uninstall KB3035583 before doing this in the registry.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users