Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer started running slow recently, virus?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Exasmic

Exasmic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

As of  2 - 4 days ago, my computer has been really slow. I ran CSGO at around ~200 FPS consistently and I'm lucky to break ~100, and it constantly dips below 60. The rest of my computer has also been slower. I think I may have some kind of virus, what steps should I take to get rid of it (if it's there)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

Slow computer issues here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

To check your system for viruses.

Perform Eset online scan - start the scan - let it run fully

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Download Malwarebytes antimaware (The free version)  - Install - allow to update - run scan and allow removal of any malware found.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Edited by Wolverine 7, 17 June 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#3 Exasmic

Exasmic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thanks, solved the issue by vacuuming my computer. All is back to normal.

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

Ok cool,glad you fixed it. :thumbup2:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

@Wolverine 7

Tools like ESET Online Scanner and Malwarebytes can not be used in the Windows forums.  These can only be used in the Am I Infected forum.  This is for security purposes. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

Tools like ESET Online Scanner and Malwarebytes can not be used in the Windows forums.  These can only be used in the Am I Infected forum.  This is for security purposes.

Oh really,sorry i didn't know that...seems strange that ive seen others make the same suggestion for some time and ive been doing it for ages..wonder  how come a mod never pointed it out?

Anyway i,ll point pos virus issues to Am i infected in future :idea:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

Advice on malware...is NOT given in the O/S or hardware forums...the possibilities for bad advice are too great to allow members with no demonstrated/known expertise/experience in malware...to be issuing suggestions that may not be appropriate.

When such occurs in the O/S and hardware forums...chances are that such suggestions have subsequently caused the topic to be moved to an appropriate malware forum here at BC.

If you have been doing such...I suspect that those topics were later moved.

In the case of this topic...your suggestion was off the mark, since OP resolved issue without any involvement with malware software or assistance.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

Advice on malware...is NOT given in the O/S or hardware forums...the possibilities for bad advice are too great to allow members with no demonstrated/known expertise/experience in malware...to be issuing suggestions that may not be appropriate.

When such occurs in the O/S and hardware forums...chances are that such suggestions have subsequently caused the topic to be moved to an appropriate malware forum here at BC.

If you have been doing such...I suspect that those topics were later moved.

In the case of this topic...your suggestion was off the mark, since OP resolved issue without any involvement with malware software or assistance.

Louis

Ok,understood,i usually point people to the Am i infected section,i suppose i assumed that a basic virus scan that most people run anyway couldn't do much harm,i should prob look at the forum rules again,been 5 yrs since i read them..

.as it goes ive de malwared loads of computers with all kinds of tools with no problems for years,still point taken,i,ll point to am i infected as usual in future. :thumbup2:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

Tools like ESET Online Scanner and Malwarebytes can not be used in the Windows forums.  These can only be used in the Am I Infected forum.  This is for security purposes.

Oh really,sorry i didn't know that...seems strange that ive seen others make the same suggestion for some time and ive been doing it for ages.. 1. wonder  how come a mod never pointed it out?

2.  Anyway i,ll point pos virus issues to Am i infected in future :idea:

1.  The moderators will usually take the easier road and just move the topic to the Am I Infected forum rather than explain that these tools can not be used in the Widows forum and where the should and can be used. 

2.  There are times where I see that a member obviously has malware and should use these tools.  In those cases I will go ahead and post a request to run certain scans, but I will then go back to the first post in the topic and use the Report button to request that the topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum.  This button is found in the lower left portion under the text box.

report_zps13abwlc1.png

Edited by dc3, 19 June 2016 - 08:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

1.  The moderators will usually take the easier road and just move the topic to the Am I Infected forum rather than explain that these tools can not be used in the Widows forum and where the should and can be used. 

2.  There are times where I see that a member obviously has malware and should use these tools.  In those cases I will go ahead and post a request to run certain scans, but I will then go back to the first post in the topic and use the Report button to request that the topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum.  This button is found in the lower left portion under the text box.

DC3,thanks,im sure you more than know what your doing,i  know how to anti malware a system to a reasonable standard,but not my job,best left to the very qualified...i was going  to enroll in White Hat virus study course recently as it goes  until i realized what with work,family nd small children i was never going to find the 8 hrs required...postponed for a year at least ;-),anyway i,ll play it safe and point to the Ami infected forum.

Thanks

W7

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:47 PM

IF you think a malware check is needed do NOT tell them to start a new topic there.

Use the REPORT function to let the moderators know you think it should be moved to Am I Infected.

Also, if you see posts in the OS boards that contain logs for malware scanning tools, REPORT the post, say it contains logs and needs to be moved to the appropriate malware removal board. This also applies if logs are posted elsewhere outside Am I Infected or Malware Removal logs.

There is a pinned topic at the top of each Windows OS forum with more details http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-otl-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 June 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#12 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

IF you think a malware check is needed do NOT tell them to start a new topic there.

Use the REPORT function to let the moderators know you think it should be moved to Am I Infected.

Also, if you see posts in the OS boards that contain logs for malware scanning tools, REPORT the post, say it contains logs and needs to be moved to the appropriate malware removal board. This also applies if logs are posted elsewhere outside Am I Infected or Malware Removal logs.

There is a pinned topic at the top of each Windows OS forum with more details http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-otl-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ 

Ok...sorry for any inconvenience,so... if i  think a malware check is needed I Wont  tell them to start a new topic there.
I,ll use  the REPORT function to let the moderators know i think it should be moved to Am I Infected.

Also, if i  see posts in the OS boards that contain logs for malware scanning tools,I,ll  REPORT the post, saying it contains logs and needs to be moved to the appropriate malware removal board. This will also apply if logs are posted elsewhere outside Am I Infected or Malware Removal logs.

And  i,ll look at the  pinned topic at the top of each Windows OS forum with more details.

After that i,ll...er..have a well deserved cup of tea.,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users