Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected Freezing and Slow downs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GomezPhiri458

GomezPhiri458

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

I use an HP laptop and here are my specs.

Intel core i5 2.6ghz Dual Core
8GB DDR3 Ram (upgraded from 4gb)
Windows 10
500GB toshiba HDD
Nvidia Geforce 820M 1GB ded.

It started happening recently where my laptop would freeze for a long time with no reponse to mouse and key inputs. It usually happens about 10-20 minutes after I switch it on. I run a virus check multiple times and eliminated all traces of malware on my computer and the problem still continued.I then noticed the display would go black with the backlight on and still no responses from any input ,even the power button. Ive always used HD sentinel to check the health of my external and internal HDDs with recently checking to see my internal HDD health dropped from 100% to 94%. Sentinel still shows that the performance is 100% healthy as well as stable temperatures observed. This drop was cause by bad sectors found on the HDD and I set a negative index on the bad sectors from 8 to -8 to fix this and my HDD health rose from 94% to 99%. Still I could see the same performance problems. I finally ran a surface test and it showed 1 out of 9999 sectors on the drive were bad.

I later researched on forums and other sites if people encountered such a problem and I tried something setring the PCI express settings of the power management from Max Power savings to Off and it still contiued to misbehave.

At this point I don't know what is causing this hault in operation.And I continually manually kill it by long processing the power button to turn it off as other operations such as Cntrl+Alt+Del not working at all. I suspect the hardrive but HD sentinel says the performance and health is fine.

PC Operation includes
1. 10-20 second startup delay from what Im used to with my once usual 21-25 second boot time. With a Disk Check usually performed.

2. Professes run fine with slow starters beginning to emerge while the active front application not affected. Windows Explorer is always first to exhibit no response while applications run smoothly then the loading cursor appears and all applications stop responding completely.

3. The computer remains frozen for a few
minutes and rarely does it Unfreeze and operate smoothly again with rare "Windows is not responding" dialog but 95% of the time the black screen appears with backlight on and this continues for an unknown period with no warnings and Ive tried leaving it overnight and does not go back back to normal.

What could be causing this? Has anyone ever encountered this? Is it the harddrive? I dont want to try a new harddrive as Ive got crucial school files on it and Im broke. And I've got my Java and Network Security exams coming up and relied on my laptop with all my notes on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GomezPhiri458

GomezPhiri458
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:57 AM

Problem solved. The network card was haulting operations due to the Itunes update I installed recently. I did some research and found that the mobile support for Itunes would try to re-assign the IP address of my computer and hence the network card would fail freezing the whole computer. I uninstalled the Mobile support only and the problem was no more. Id advice trying to uninstall Itunes after June 2016 update to fix this if your computer has similar problems. :)

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

It'll surely help others who come looking for help with the similar issues.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users