Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want To Clean My Hard Drive And Do A Fresh Install Of Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drummer130779

Drummer130779

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

i want to clean my hard drive and re in stall xp home i only have the cd supplied by the manufacturer which was iqon technologies if anybody can help it i would be very gratefull my hard drive is a maxtor 4R080J0

Cheers

Drummer

Ps I have to go now but will be back online tomorrow night

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

It depends on what you mean by "CLEAN". If the cd you have from the manufacturer is a "Restore CD", chances are it's the XP install cd. When you run the install, it should format the harddrive, meaning completley erase every file and partition you have. If you want to do a complete wipe w/ a fresh re-install, that's the way to go.

I've heard of some XP disks that DON'T format automatically, but give you a choice whether you want to. I've never experienced one of those myself, so i don't know what it edits or keeps.

Remember, before you reformat and re-install, save any files you need to keep on a floppy, cd-rom, or flash drive.

#3 Drummer130779

Drummer130779
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:55 PM

guess what mines one of those that doesnt format automatically! last time i reinstalled i was left with hundreds of old programe files and music files that i didnt want. when the install is in process it gives me the option to delete the partition but then wont let me actually do it it just says that the partition cannot be deleted as files on it are required for the install. im really not to sure what to do now oone of the guides i was reading mentioned zero filling the drive but didnt say how to actually do it!!!!!!!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:04 AM

I would suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask them what you need to do to do a fresh install:

http://www.iqon.ie/contact_us1.php

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

When I do a "Clean install" I wipe the drive instead of formatting. When you wipe a drive you overwrite every space on the hard drive. This destroys everything on the drive. Then re-partition, and format (NTFS for W2k or XP) before attempting a clean install.
There is a simple freeware program, url=http://www.killdisk.com]Killdisk[/url], that will preform this task either form a floppy or CD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

If you wipe the drive and the cd you have requires access tro a hidden partition on your hard drive (which is common) to restore Windows, you will have no way of reinstalling Windows.

Call support at the computer manufacturer before you do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users