Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Word, Excel, PDF, and images won't open up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikej62

mikej62

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

I'm having an issue where I can't open up the older files from years ago on my computer. The Word (Microsoft office 2007), Excel, Powerpoint, and image files that I had on my computer for years will not open up. But anything that I created recently will open up. I can download a powerpoint file and it will open up, but the powerpoints I had from 2012 will not open up. For my word documents, I got the mswrd632.wpc conversion error. I deleted the registry entry for it based on google advice. Word opens up but all the characters are in a weird format. PDF files give me an error message when trying to open it. For images, I can see the preview of the image in my pictures folder but when i click on it, it says no preview available.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

You can download the portable version of LibreOffice. When you download the portable version and double click the exe file you can select a folder on the desktop to install to. Open LibreOffice Writer and select File > Open. Browse to your Work FIles. You can do the same for excel files using LibreOffice Calc. For the PDF files you can download the portable version of PDFXchange Viewer. Unzip to a folder and double click the exe file. Select FIle > Open and browse to your PDF file. If these fail then you files are possibly corrupted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 June 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#3 mikej62

mikej62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

You can download the portable version of LibreOffice. When you download the portable version and double click the exe file you can select a folder on the desktop to install to. Open LibreOffice Writer and select File > Open. Browse to your Work FIles. You can do the same for excel files using LibreOffice Calc. For the PDF files you can download the portable version of PDFXchange Viewer. Unzip to a folder and double click the exe file. Select FIle > Open and browse to your PDF file. If these fail then you files are possibly corrupted.

I downloaded that PDF program. The pdf's that I could open before opened in that program. But the older PDF's won't open in that folder. When I open it in the program, I get this error:

Error opening documents "********": Error [PDF Structure 40]: invalid file format

Note: the format of the source is not pdf.

I used the other program for Word and Excel and the files open up, but all of the text is in a format like this:

YÆåw¥A.-lCš@TG[B}ZzðÔäœæ-v$šé¡‰eì¬ÎÃýÚu‘†^…¸#ô#d¼û#

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

It seems your older pdf and office files have been corrupted. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

FWIW:  In some cases...running the chkdsk /r command on the possibly corrupt files...may result in ability to access.  This situation was common for data stored on floppies when such were in frequent use...no reason for it not to possibly work on data files stored on a hard drive or whatever (other than an CD/DVD).

Louis

#6 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:39 AM

Do you have a proper antivirus installed in your system (and up-to-date)?

Some virus infecting MS office file and pdf file and make them unreadable ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users