Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need info on SSD replacement of my old 7200 desktop HD

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

I have a Gateway DX4822 desktop running Windows 7 SP1 w/4gb ram.  I am think about replacing the hd with a ssd to speed up the system.  I have been searching online and there are so many to choose from I am lost.  My questions are:  1-Is it worth the upgrade for the performance difference?  2- Why are some vendors showing vertical mounts?  3- can anyone suggest a good value drive?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2016 - 09:42 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

Don't replace, add SSD and keep HDD.

1. Yes.

2. Because SSD has no moving parts, it can be mounted in any way.

3. Crucial BX100/MX200 240 GB or bigger depending on how much space you need.

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the reply...I think I have room to add the ssd but I will need an adapter from 2.5 to 3.5.  Then, how do I make the new drive my boot drive and put all my stuff on it?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

Change boot order on BIOS (so that SSD boots before HDD), then install OS to SSD.

I recommend putting only programs and OS to SSD. File copying to SSD is like copying from one drive to another on Windows, nothing special.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 17 June 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

will I have to make old drive a slave drive?

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

will I have to make old drive a slave drive?

There are no master or slaves on SATA drives.

#7 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

If I install my windows 7 on the new ssd and then upgrade to win 10 and keep win7 on old drive will that be do-able?

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

Yes, that will work fine. In fact, it is a superior way to have both OSs bootable, as opposed to creating 2 partitions on a single drive. The only problem you may run in to is that if you get the free upgrade on the Windows 7 drive, I am not sure if M/Soft will recognize W7 as being legitimate anymore, since that OS (7) was removed in the upgrade process.

I would imagine that W7 would still work, but you might run into problems trying for updates. If you purchase Windows 10 retail you should have no problems.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 June 2016 - 11:31 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

Use the Microsoft media creation tool to make a bootable Windows 10 install DVD or flash drive.
Get the SSD and get it physically in the desktop. Unplug the old HDD.
Boot the Windows 10 install and choose the SSD. It will accept your Windows 7 key for activation! (printed on side of PC)
Get Windows 10 the way you want it then plug the old HD back in.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#10 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

Thanks very much for the replies and the help.  I will follow your suggestions

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

My pleasure, Geno!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

I still have a few concerns...When I install the ssd in my desktop and setup bios to boot it first, then install win 10, what about drive letter designations? Will my old hd still be "c"? and drive "0" ?

I want to install the os and my main programs on the ssd and let docs, music and pics on the old hd...will the new programs on the ssd still be able to find the data files?

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

I still have a few concerns...When I install the ssd in my desktop and setup bios to boot it first, then install win 10, what about drive letter designations? Will my old hd still be "c"? and drive "0" ?

I want to install the os and my main programs on the ssd and let docs, music and pics on the old hd...will the new programs on the ssd still be able to find the data files?

Drive letters might be same but if not, you can change them at disk management. Newly installed programs are able to find data files if you tell those programs where data files are.

And Windows drive first partition (in this case SSD first partition) is default C:-drive. Tweaking is possible but not very easy.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 09 July 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#14 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

I installed the ssd and loaded windows 10 from a dvd and got it activated.....I re-installed my old hd with win 7 and it gave it a "f drive" designation.  However I cannot access my programs on that drive...what am I doing wrong? 

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

I installed the ssd and loaded windows 10 from a dvd and got it activated.....I re-installed my old hd with win 7 and it gave it a "f drive" designation.  However I cannot access my programs on that drive...what am I doing wrong? 

You see that "F-drive" in start-computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users