Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to disable hibernation on WinX to free up disk space if I have a UPS?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and a CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD UPS, running on a self-built desktop workstation computer, with 16GB RAM.

I am trying to free up disk space, and just deleted all but the most recent system restore points, which regained approximately 16GB on my Samsung SSD PRO 1TB. :thumbup2:

Also, I would like to disable hibernation since I am never going to use it anyway, which will free up even more disk space, that is 6GB. :busy:

So now, I am wondering: Is it safe to disable hibernation on WinX to free up disk space if I have a UPS?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 17 June 2016 - 09:25 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

Also, I would like to disable hibernation since I am never going to use it anyway, which will free up even more disk space, that is 6GB. :busy:

So now, I am wondering: Is it safe to disable hibernation on WinX to free up disk space if I have a UPS?

I think Hibernation doesn't have nothing to do with the UPS.

Hibernating the computer saves the current state with programs and files open then it shutdown, on next start the system will resume to the same state and will do this faster than doing a full start. This is true when the system is running from a HDD, when you have an SSD the system starts very fast, the use of Hibernation isn't very important and can theoretically reduce the SSD life time.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

So far as my own experience goes, hibernation is disabled by default on fresh installations of Windows 10.  You have to go into Power Options to make it available if you want it (which I happened to want and did).

If hibernation was already available as an option on a system you did a Windows 10 upgrade on you can go to Power Options -> Choose what the power button does link -> click on the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" link, then scroll down to the bottom of the dialog to enable/disable Fast Start, Hibernation and/or Sleep, and Lock.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

Hibernation will actually work with your UPS, provided there is a communication connection.  I was playing GTA4 Vice City when I lost power and when the UPS put my machine in hibernation one the batteries were depleted.  When power was restored I was able to continue playing from where I left off.

Turning off hibernation is only going to save you as much drive space as you have RAM.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hi, SleepyDude, britechguy & Kilroy!

Thank you all for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

...the use of Hibernation isn't very important and can theoretically reduce the SSD life time.

I did not know that fact about Hibernation vs. SSDs, however thanks for the tip. :wink:

So far as my own experience goes, hibernation is disabled by default on fresh installations of Windows 10.  You have to go into Power Options to make it available if you want it (which I happened to want and did).

I fresh installed my OS and reinstalled it several times due to incompatible drivers for my external HDD, and maybe Hibernation was disabled by default, but I guess it most likely got enabled when I installed the UPS software.

I searched the Internet for a quick repair and downloaded a registry file in order to disable Hibernation permanently. If anyone is interested, then it can be found here.

Never really been a fan of Hibernation, because I once tried it on my previous computer (XP Pro), only to discover that the keyboard layout was 'foreign', as several buttons were malfunctioning.

Hibernation will actually work with your UPS, provided there is a communication connection.  I was playing GTA4 Vice City when I lost power and when the UPS put my machine in hibernation one the batteries were depleted.  When power was restored I was able to continue playing from where I left off.

Yes, there is a communication connection, namely a USB cable, on this UPS as well as on my previous one. :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users