Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open slide-show email attachment

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:21 AM

I received an email attachment that is pptx. and tried opening through Windows Media Center. It goes to the Media Center however the attached slide-show is not there. Does the attachment need to be changed from pptx. to pdf ? I have Adobe Reader DC installed. Tried to find a solution on-line with no success.

Would really like to get this to work as the slide-show is important to family.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:51 AM

pptx is the file extension for Power Point.

In order to view the slideshow you can download and install Power Point Viewer from Microsoft.

The viewer is free, a bare bones version of Power Point.  All you can do is view Power Point presentations. You won't be able to add anything to it.

If asked do you want to install additional programs from Microsoft, say NO and continue.

Other option: convert the Power Point to an extension that will play in Media Center or Windows Media Player.

There are options for programs when searching for conversion programs but I don't know anything about those programs and cannot recommend a good free one.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for your response Queen-Evie. I downloaded the Power Point View from MS however when I click to open it goes directly to Windows Media Center and there is no slide-show ?? What am I doing wrong ? Seems like it should be  pretty straight forward.

Spoke too soon ! Now I am able to view the individual pictures that make up the slide-show and thank you for that Queen-Evie.

But there has to be someway to allow the slide-show to play. This old gray-matter ain't what is used to be.

I'll keep looking for solutions.

Any help in achieving would be deeply appreciated.

Edited by sikntired, 17 June 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then clicking Default Programs. Then Click "Associate a file type with a program" and find pptx and assign it to Power Point View.

If you don't see it there, may need to add it. See here for manually adding a file extension. 

The easiest work around is to find where you downloaded the file and right click on it and left click "Open with" and choose Power Point View from there. However the options above would work better if you plan on downloading and viewing a lot of Power Point files.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Trikein, I got to view the slide pictures through Power Point. I don't foresee viewing a lot of Power Point files. I intend to try changing the extension so it can play in Windows Media Center as suggested by Queen-Evie.

Thank you for your interest and suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users