Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My mouse shuts off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dffykvn

dffykvn

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:40 AM

Sometimes I hear the device removed sound and my mouse pointer stops moving. When that happens my mouses light is on but moving it does nothing.

When I check my device it says "USB optical mouse."  I don't know if its a specific brand.

I don't know a lot about computers so please bear that in mind.

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd.

Model: H61m-S2-B3

Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:00 AM

Have you tried another mouse, such borrow a friends? Or try the mouse with a friend's computer?

Have you tried the mouse on another USB port on the computer?

It kind of sounds like some sort of hardware issue either with the mouse or the USB port. Trying the above might help confirm if this is the case.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:50 AM

You also could look in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellows warning icons or red error icons visible.

You could look specifically in Mice and other pointing devices and Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dffykvn

dffykvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

I don't have any warning things in the device manager.

Occasionally I get a message about how my computer can't read the usb port but that rarely pops up and it never popped up when the mouse wasn't working.

I have two types of failures.

During type 1 the mouse shuts off completely.  The bottom red light on the mouse is permanently off until I take the mouse out of its port and put it back in then it works.

The type is the mouse just freezing in place.  The red lights on but moving it does nothing and removing the usb and putting it back in does nothing.

My pc only has 1 port for the mouse and 1 for the keyboard so there's no other place to put it in.

Oh and I changed the power saver option so the mouse doesn't automatically turn off but it didn't fix the problem either.

#5 dffykvn

dffykvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

I tried other mouses, they never had the turning off problem, they just had a working like garbage problem. They had weird lag and moved like something underwater.

I just noticed the follow this topic, sorry about taking so long.

Edited by dffykvn, 01 July 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

Are you using the PS/2 ports (the two round ports, one of which is purple and other is green)? If so, is the mouse actually a PS/2 connection mouse or are you using a USB to PS/2 adapter?

Have you tried switching the ports on which the mouse and keyboard connect?

Also, if using the PS/2 port for the mouse, have you tried a USB mouse (you mentioned other mice by not what type)? There are 4 USB ports on the back of that motherboard, plus you might have some USB ports on the front of the case that connect to an internal USB header on the motherboard.

For the other mice (especially if it was a USB mouse), did you try adjusting the mouse settings (such tracking speed) in the Control Panel? It is possible the lag/sluggishness of the other mice might have been due to the tracking speed being changed when the new mouse was plugged in.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:01 AM

If you opened the HID-compliant mouse, clicked on the Power Management and removed the check from the  Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power box and this still happens you can do a couple of things.

1. Right click on the device tree in the Device Management and select Scan for Hardware changes .  This can restart the power for the USB port.  This may not be a permanent solution.

2. The other option is to disable the Selective Suspend.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, when the Start Menu opens click on Computer

When the Contorl Panel opens click on Power Options.

In the Power Options there are two Plan options, Balanced and Power saver.  Both of these have the option Change plan options. Click on this option for the plan being used.

poweroptions_zps6601b855.png

Click on Change advanced power settings

poweroptions1_zps30e6c8a6.png 

In the Advanced settings click on the (+) next to the USB settings.

Click on the (+) next to Selective suspend settings.

Click on Enabled, then click on the down arrow to open the options.

Click on Disabled

Click on Apply, then OK

poweroptions2_zps8e5d4a5a.png

Close the Control Panel and restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dffykvn

dffykvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:44 AM

@smax013

Thank you.  No, it's just a regular mouse.  I have ports in the back of my computer and those are the ones that I use.

@dc3

!!!!  I remember changing selective suspend for the mouse some other way, I didn't know that USB ports had that too.  Maybe the problem still exists is because I only changed one!

My fingers have achieved maximum crossing.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

If you disable the Selective Suspend it should apply to all of the USB ports.

Just follow the instructions and see if it is enabled or disabled.  If it is enabled, disable it.

#10 dffykvn

dffykvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

Yea, I haven't had a problem since I saw your reply.

Thank you very much.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

Glad to be able to help. :thumbup2:

#12 dffykvn

dffykvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

I spoke too soon.

It was working all day and it just stopped working while the light was still on.

The tracking red light at the bottom was on but the mouse was off.  I checked powersaver and selective suspend is still disabled.

I restarted my computer and it happened again.

I checked my mouse drivers and they're all up to date.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

Try this mouse on another computer to see if the problem continues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users