Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display/PC not fully booting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Motka

Motka

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:57 AM

So I turned it off my PC yesterday because of a storm and after it was over I decided to turn it back on. The PC powered on fine but the monitor was not displaying anything and the only visible lights on the setup were all the mouse lights and the power on light on my Corsair 200R case. It's actually done this before but not for this long though. I've already tried to disconnect all unnecessary cables to maybe get the bios to display to no avail. There's also no POST

CPU: AMD ATHLON X4 760K

MOTHERBOARD: MSI A78M E35

GPU: GTX 750 TI

RAM: 8 GB

PSU: CORSAIR 600W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

Try this once unplugged graphic card and do warm booting without graphic card did you plug the cables of computer if not that causes overuse of electricity to the motherboard which make motherboard damage.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 CHS-Robert

CHS-Robert

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

Try pulling the power cord and pressing the power button.  Then plug it back in and it should boot up

This has happened to my computer several times and this always works.

Robert C.

Technician

CHS Tech Solutions

Lancaster, PA

http://chstechsolutions.com

#4 Motka

Motka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

Try pulling the power cord and pressing the power button.  Then plug it back in and it should boot up

This has happened to my computer several times and this always works.

Robert C.

Technician

CHS Tech Solutions

Lancaster, PA

http://chstechsolutions.com

Hey, do I press it while I pull it out or once it's out? I did the latter and it didn't work.

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

Perform these steps from http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#6 Motka

Motka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

I appreciate that your trying to help me, but I honestly don't think any of the steps listed could really contribute to helping me with my PC because I just had it off for about 30-60 mins. and It has done this before but for not this extended amount of time. But, thanks anyway for sending the link to me.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

On a powercycle, pull the plug then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and try booting. How long did you hold down the power button after pulling the plug?

#8 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

Turning off a computer (or pretty much any electrical device) does not protect it from power anomalies during a storm.  Computers in particular are still very susceptible to surges and spike and other anomalies because when the computer is shutdown, it is still in standby mode and the power supply is still providing +5Vsb standby voltage to several points on the motherboard.

The only true way to protect an electrical device during a storm is to unplug it from the wall. The next best way is to use a "good" UPS with AVR, and lastly, use a surge and spike protector. Of course, nothing can protect you from a direct lightning strike - not even unplugging - if the bolt is
determined to get you!

Since you tried another monitor/TV and have the same results, you need to swap in another known good power supply and go from there. If you don't have or cannot borrow another PSU from another working computer, you need to have that PSU tested by a professional to make sure it is supply all the necessary voltages.  Unless you have a decent oscilloscope or a true power supply analyzer (and know how to use them and interpret their results), the only way a "normal" user can verify a PSU is working properly is to swap it out with a known good supply.

You might also try that monitor on another computer

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2016 - 01:28 PM.

Be happy, always try
for it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users