Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

POST giving 3 beeps when changing APUs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eric_K

Eric_K

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:14 AM

I made a new build with an APU (no graphics card), and when I powered it up the fans started spinning and the LEDS were working, but there was no POST or display. So what I did was replace the APU with a weaker one (A6 6400k) and it was able to startup. While I was on the OS, I installed all the drivers and updated the BIOS. Then when I swapped out the APU back to the one that wasn't working, I got 3 beeps which is supposed to imply that the RAM may be bad, but this makes no sense because I only get this error with the APU that isn't working. Anyways, I tried re-seating the RAM, using a different slot, and using different RAM entirely, but I was still getting 3 beeps.

Here's the build:

• AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Masscool 5T568S1H3 33.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
  • MSI A68HI AC (motherboard)
  • G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
  • Patriot Blaze 60GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case
  • EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I should mention that I was only using 1 stick of RAM during these tests as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric_K

Eric_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:24 AM

bump

Edited by Eric_K, 17 June 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

Only to add a question. The beeps are exactly the same if you put the working processor and remove the memory?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

I would get the processor on a secure level surface, and with a magnifying glass, or even a cell phone magnifying app with pins facing up I would look for possible bent pins. Did the processor work on any unit previously? or is this a brand new processor?

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

It could still be the RAM, sometimes the wrong processor/ motherboard/ memory combo can happen.

I had that happen to me once.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 June 2016 - 09:13 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Eric_K

Eric_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the replies guys,

First off, I ended up trying to use the working processor with no RAM like SleepyDude had suggested, and I ended up getting different beeps, this time, I would 3 beeps and a permanent pause. With the bad processor and RAM I would get 3 beeps, a pause, and then 3 beeps/pause continually until I shut down the system. When I used the bad processor with no RAM I got the 3 beeps permanent pause. Then when I put the ram back in, the computer actually booted up with the bad processor. I'll keep posting if anything bad happens from this point

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

Well gald ytou are working it out, hey this happens luckily there is such thing as a warrenty

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

@Eric_K: I found this MSI page https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beep-codes about the beep code see if its useful for you.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users