Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Not Updating

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shley

shley

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:17 AM

Hello,

This laptop only updated two updates recently leaving about 16 showing as failed.

I ran the MS Fix It tool and/or the fix update tool with little success.  Please see enclosures.  What is strange is that one window showed it did not fix the error 0x80070057 (Win Update error_b.jpg) and the report of the fix indicated it did fix it, if I am reading it correctly (256029346.pdf).  A third file "UPDATE ERRORS" lists recent attempts to install MS Updates.

I am in need of getting this laptop up and running quickly so I can restore my main system back to factory and use this as backup during a hectic school semester.

My problem also sounds familiar to another recent posting in this forum.  I hope I can quickly resolve this.  Unlike the other posting, I did not do a winsocket reset (I do not know how).

Thank you!!

MISSING UPDATES:

KB3142024
KB890830
KB3153199
KB3150220
KB3054984
KB3153731
KB3150513
KB3156017
KB3156016
KB3156013
KB3155178
KB3115123
KB3101520
KB3142037
KB3136000
KB3154070

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

Sometimes you have to do the updates more than once,try going to windows update and just letting it run for an hour or more without interrupting it and see if that works

(Thanks to Hamluis on this site for that one).

Try rebooting the laptop after an update fails and try again,sometimes that works.

Also try installing update in Safe mode,just to see if anything is blocking them.

Also you could download Tweaking.com Windows Repair All  in One and set it to fix (tick the relevant boxes) Windows Installer (msi). and Windows Updates 

Follow the instruction to Create a restore point and Backup the registry and apply the fixes

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

If non of that helps have a llook through this post and see if anything helps..

https://www.winhelp.us/reinstall-windows-update.html

As far as backups go,you would probably  be better of to get a large usb or External drive to use,you can find them online at fairly reasonable prices these days.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 17 June 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

I've also heard that you have to wait quite awhile for this latest batch of updates. Which seems ridiculous.

I'm having the same issue and am going to let my machine try to update over several hours this weekend and see if that solves the Windows Update issue, which for me, is hung at 10 Important Updates and 1 Optional one.

Been stuck in this cycle for a couple of days now.  Ugh.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

Just doing a bit of research cos im just about to update my sevens after a week offline with a router prob,looks like all kinds of hassle and probably the updates process deferring to Win 10..so for one thing,expect the updates to take a long time,some are suggesting as long as 24hrs ?

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

This post solution from @devilus worked for me, perhaps it will solve your update problem too:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610184/windows-update-taking-a-long-time-should-i-stop-it/?p=4021794

#6 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

Thanks everyone.

The updating process is still in progress after about 4 hours.  I'll let it keep running.  This is absolutely ridiculous and Windows should at least give you some sort of disposition if it is supposed to take this long.  I think this must be at MS's end, not my end.  Who knows?  In any event, it is making the laptop extra warm underneath (and fans are running - I checked).

I will keep posting my progress.

Welcome any conversations that are helpful or insightful on this nagging Win 7 update issue.

Thanks!

-Shley

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:34 AM

Good morning shley.

Well, I started the process last night before dinner and woke up around 4:00 AM (I'm a middle-aged guy who doesn't sleep through the night) and there they were, all 11 Updates (10 important + 1 Optional) downloaded and installed.

A quick Restart to complete the process and here I am, coffee in hand, patched and updated.

I manually checked again for Updates, just to make sure nothing had failed or slipped through the cracks and all that showed up was the constant Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials.

I installed that and then checked one more time  (yeah, my wife says I might be a little OCD :whistle:) and everything seems up-to-date.

A tedious process but what can you do?

Another way Microsoft is trying to push us all to Win10, perhaps?

Either way, all's well that ends well. Hope you get a positive resolve soon.

onward,

Winterland

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

I seriously believe that the problems with updates, specifically updates for Windows 7, are do to Microsoft's inability to deal with the huge influx of updates related to the Windows 10 upgrade.  I bought my wife a new laptop with Windows 7 (her preference) almost two months ago.  Wednesday she finally had updates, 216 of them!  I'm thinking update constipation.  :nono: Don't go there. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

Thanks everyone.  I waited for hours and decided to start the system from scratch and reloaded OS.  If I had more time to mess around I would have.  I hope MS gets it all straightened out soon for us 7 users.

Thanks again everyone.

#10 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:50 AM

Wednesday she finally had updates, 216 of them!  I'm thinking update constipation.  :nono: Don't go there. 

:lol: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users