Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downgraded to windows 8.1 - win10 completely gone now?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daimonion

daimonion

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:37 PM

I upgraded to win 10, didn't want it, then downgraded to windows 8.1. How can I be sure win10 is completely removed, though? I have a couple of empty folders in my documents folder that remained there after the downgrade from win10. I don't mind that, but it seems that win10 isn't completely gone afterall. How to completely rinse my pc of win10?

Edited by daimonion, 16 June 2016 - 11:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

You probably have a Windows.OLD folder that has Windows 10 stuff in it, and you probably have some Windows Updates installed that can nag you to go to 10.  You can delete the Windows.OLD folder.  To keep it from nagging you to upgrade, you can download and install the GWX Control Panel.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

I would suggest opening the Windows.OLD file and check the date.  If it is the same date as the date you downgraded back to Window 8.1 this could be a Windows.OLD for Windows 10.

I will find a definitive answer to this and post back with that information.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users