Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp pro-boot, repair, stops at setup-A problem has been-ect.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skyblade55

skyblade55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

Hello All,

Windows XP Pro ... I'm trying to reinstall windows xp pro on my Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) comp. This computer was originally created using a Windows xp pro disk that was installed by an engineer. In other words I didn't have a win xp pro disk at the time. After a series of mistakes on my part trying to solve a video firewire issue I was able to turn a perfectly good computer

into a comp. that will not even boot from an OEM (Dell Win xp pro) disk. I purchased the OEM disk , complete with activation code, thinking this should resolve the issue.

The comp. will boot from disk and repair begins to load up but stops during the setup screen: a few of the phrases are- A problem has been detected.........Stop: 0x0000007e..........pci.sys-address........

Reformatting the hard drive would fine if I could get that far.  I know the OEM disk works because I installed it on another much slower computer.

I would be oh so grateful if someone could advise. Playing piano is a great and wonderful thing but my DAW is like brain candy!!!

Help!......Skyblade 55

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

What SP is this XP install disk. If you have a PCIe card in the computer you will need SP2 or later. The SP can be slipstreamed into the install disk fairly easy. If your install disk is SP2 or SP3 you can create a bootable disk of Partition Wizard. Delete all Partitions. Then create a Primary, not logical, partition and make it active. Then try booting the install disk.

You can burn the iso of Partition Wizard on a Windows 7 and later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. 

Has all important data been backed up?

#3 skyblade55

skyblade55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:43 AM

Hello JohnC_21,

Thanks very much for posting. My win xp pro is back up and running! HoooRhaaaaa

Turned out my OEM disk was useless, but it shipped with plain disk titled (hand written) Windows XP Pro SP3.

I just assumed that disk was for loading sp3 software. Turned out to be a fully functional xp pro disk including 

product key requirement of verification. The pwfree91 software was VERY helpful also.

I learned a lot from the experience, aka "Confusion rains" , "out of the frying pan into the fire" with brief moments

of understanding and joy!.................and finally a clean install!!! 

Up until a few days ago, I worked on this every day since you posted (I work at home). Wife thought I was possessed ! 

Thanks again,

Skyblade 55....... Artist and Inventor-if your curious, see jmjartist.com, the saucer aircraft invention is also posted. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

Your Welcome, and glad you are back up an running. Checked out your site. That is some very beautiful art.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users