Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a good gaming setup on a budget? Can someone make me one under $500

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Magician31224

Magician31224

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/CpWCJV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

I don't think so. Buy nvidia geforce gtx 1080 if available, go intel xeon or i7, 800w ultra watt power supply, minimum 12GB or 16GB ram,Mobo with LGA socket 1150, 1TB hard disk is fine but Solid State drive is faster and more reliable than HDD.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

For $500 you can get worse, but a GTX 1080 and i7 are well above your budget.  A $500 PC is a tall order especially if it is meant for gaming.  You also need to budget for Windows, which is about $100. 

That build would be great for a general home office PC, but for gaming, upgrading to an i5 will help.  However, the cheapest LGA 1151 i5 is about $180.  If you have a little more money to spend, you can swap out the motherboard for the GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 and the CPU for the AMD FX-6300 or the AMD FX-8300.  This is more powerful and a bit more expensive than your current configuration, but it isn't as expensive as switching to an i5.

You don't need a GTX 1080 to get good performance for most games.  For many gamers, a more modest card is enough.  The GTX 950 will work well with some older games or with the graphical options turned down on current games.  For better performance, the R9 380 or R9 380X would be great alternatives, check out the ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-4GD5-GAMING 4GB or PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 380X DirectX 12 AXR9 380X 4GBD5-PPDHE 4GB cards.  I would aim for the PowerColor.  You will need a more powerful PSU regardless, the EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W is enough for either of the two R9 cards above.

In the future, you can upgrade your hard drive to a 1TB or greater drive, those cost about $200+ at this time.

3939.png

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

You don't need a GTX 1080 to get good performance for most games.  For many gamers, a more modest card is enough.  The GTX 950 will work well with some older games or with the graphical options turned down on current games.  For better performance, the R9 380 or R9 380X would be great alternatives, check out the ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-4GD5-GAMING 4GB or PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 380X DirectX 12 AXR9 380X 4GBD5-PPDHE 4GB cards.  I would aim for the PowerColor.  You will need a more powerful PSU regardless, the EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W is enough for either of the two R9 cards above.

It's expected that AMD RX470 is much better choice than any of those.

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

Amd RX 480 is even better than any other.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:07 PM

Ebay

Craigslist

These are electronic superstores in my opinion.  If we were in Japan we'd go to Hard Off and other shops like that with great, cheap used hardware.  

Remember that most people have no clue what they are doing with money, and when bills come do, they sell what they have.  Every day sons are selling of computer hardware in their transitions from gamer to dad and occupational workman.  That means we swoop in and buy good stuff really cheap.  

Then there's the guys that are just buying so much stuff for one reason or another, and they are upgrading, trying new stuff, buying for others that don't need it, and they dump their stuff for cheap.  They don't have to have.  Swoop in and buy it.  

I could run a computer build store with just this knowledge and those two websites alone.  

The same thing is true about auto hardware.  A steering pump and an A/C cost a few hundred rebuilt or several hundred brand new, but I can buy them used for $35 each, and even if they go out, I can buy a few more, and I'll still save money buying from the scrap yards.  I put my own in myself though.  Just learn that stuff on youtube these days.  Every man's his own auto mechanic, electronics and computers fixer/builder, home fixer upper, wood worker..........................ANYTHING YOU WANT TO BE AND DO.   :thumbsup2:

So it just comes down digging in with people, testing their gear to see if it's legit, and negotiating a price.  The negotiation is the fun part when you get older because you don't have your nerves with strangers any more and probably for some people when they are younger.  It's like a sport like target shooting or pitching.  Just remember this:  Offr Brass  Don't ever offer your best gold price up front.  Offer brass price forct.  You don't know who is who, and they don't know you, so you have no way to assume what is ticking under the hood so to speak when your dealing with folks.  It's more polite and you look smarter if you start below the price you want to pay or lower than he would ever sell for, and you two work your way to a price in between.  And we do it just because people like dealing and negotiating for some reason.  Like I said it's like a game.  

And I carry a whole personality with me.  I have a look, attitude, and lingo that mystifies in order to keep them on their heals.  I'm also 37, so people act differently now than they used to as in they respect rather than hasten me.  My beard looks like Jack Dorsey's, CEO of Twitter, and my mustache is a handle bar style wild west looking dude.  I furl my eyebrows all of the time naturally, and I don't go to the barbar.  I just lop it off when it starts to go lower than the collar, and I grease it back with Old Spice pomade.  

They feel two things because they don't KNOW a single thing about me, and those two things are that I'm tough and I'm serious, so they don't feel like pushing me around, and they don't feel like I would ever even think about offering a higher price for their benefit.  A lot of people get weird stuff in their heads you know.  I sort of drive it out of them just visually and in my tone of voice.  

And if I don't like the deal, or I don't like person, se la vie.  I need not.  Dump on 'em, and take the next offer.  The reason why is because you need more practice saying no, refusing offers, and shoving jerks down if that's who you wind up dealing with than you need practice saying yes.  Remember everyone is baiting everyone else for more than what they want to give to you in return.  Very few saints out there, and then you have a good deal with them anyway.  

When I go on Craigslist in the big city, and there are a lot of the thing I want to buy being offered, I will offer everyone the really low price to see who really needs the money.  I offer my brass first.  Desperate people might need the money most, and be the smartest for taking a fast price, so I'll deal with them first.   Helps me out, and helps out the needy one, right?  If I get replies with some negotiated price or a yes, they really need that money, or they just don't care that much about the money, or they don't know what they are doing with a business deal at all.  

In business 97% of people have no idea what they are doing in a business negotiation because quite frankly they work for a boss, and then they pay another boss what the boss asks for the product/service.  They have no sense of negotiation.  It's cut and dry with them.  So you shoot low, they say yes or they come down on the price, and you win.  Dollar saved is a dollar earned.  In business that is your job to cut costs.  That's how you earn a living.  

So after I shoot all of those low prices, I deal with what fires back, and I narrow it down to distance/gas cost and price.  And Bingo!  I settle with what I want for a great price.  Then test it, and etc.  

Generally you do all of your price setting before you get to their homes to buy it up in my experience because they know that you already drove to them, so you are invested already.  It's like if I'm selling something, and the guy offers me brass, I say no because he already drove, and he wouldn't have driven that far without the full price because I'd probably say no.  So just say no, and wait.  It will happen like an automatic garage door opening up.  

So figure out who wants to dump their stuff before you settle on anything.  Offr Brass.   :clown:

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:40 PM

Diddo F-1DeskLamp ^

Edited by SEANIA, 18 June 2016 - 11:53 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:45 AM

I was going by what was available now.  Once the new cards are released, those would be a better option given the price point.

Use caution with eBay and Craigslist, you may not know what you are getting.  I'd use Newegg, Amazon, NCIX, or B&H to buy new or certified refurbished.

3939.png

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

I was going by what was available now.  Once the new cards are released, those would be a better option given the price point.

Use caution with eBay and Craigslist, you may not know what you are getting.  I'd use Newegg, Amazon, NCIX, or B&H to buy new or certified refurbished.

It makes no sense buying anything right now because RX480 is so much better.

I said same thing about GTX 980 Ti long time ago ago. Some people were too ignorant and bought anyway. GTX 980 Ti's value is now about half what it was two months ago. That is at least 300$ in two months, makes about 5$ per day. Congratulations.

#10 computerguy75

computerguy75

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

LOL.

I do not believe that you can build a sub-$500 gaming computer that can play current generation games on any setting besides low on any resolution 1080p or higher.

I just built my son a entry gaming PC for about $600 using a MSI 970 Gaming mother board, a AMD FX8320 Black processor, two 120gig hard drives, 8 gigs of ram with a copy of Windows 10 pro 64bit and a 500 watt power supply.

I reused his old pc case, keyboard/mouse, and gave him my old Zotac GTX 650Ti Amp graphics card I had laying around, so I end up spending about $600 without even buying a decent graphics card or case.

His old computer was very dated with a 775 socket Intel quad core processor, Zotac GTS 450 graphic card and a slow 120 gig sata hard drive, however until recently he mostly played Minecraft and Roblox games so it was not much of an issue.

Now he likes games like Evolve and the Isle that requires 64bit windows to play.

The PC I built is quick but the 650 graphics card prevents my son from playing the games the way he plays them on my personal rig with a Zotac GTX 960 amp card and i5 processor.

As you can see I like Zotac cards for some reason.

So when I upgrade my graphic card I will give him my 960 which will help his PC play the newer games with more FPS.

So you should up your budget to about $700 for a good or decent setup if you like playing your games under the high or ultra settings.

Edited by computerguy75, 21 June 2016 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users