Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 backup failed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aer

aer

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

I am trying to create a system image backup (not sure of the terminology) for my Windows 7 laptop before updating it to Windows 10.  I have a Seagate 1 TB backup drive and just over 500GB on the laptop.  I used the windows backup and chose the create a system image on the left.  Everything seemed to be OK (this time, I am making this short!) but at the end it said The backup failed  the bar was all red,  below it said:  The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

I tried to run it again and it said not enough room on selected drive.  When I checked the Seagate there is a file WindowsImageBackup  and it's size is just less then the 500GB the laptop has.  Is there a way to verify the backup?  Or should I delete and start again? 

I am getting frustrated.  I don't really like Windows 10 but know I need to upgrade from 7 for safety and because I am having a lot of trouble with the 2016 edition of Quicken, hoping Windows 10 will solve some of it.

Thank you

Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:03 PM

Save yourself the trouble and use either Macrium Reflect Free or Aomei Backupper to create a disk image. Both will allow you to create a bootable CD or USB flash drive to recover the image. After creating the image make sure the bootable recovery disk or flash drive detects your drives.

Both have the advantage of easily allowing you to browse the contents of the disk image as a virtual drive. Macrium is a simple double click in explorer and Aomei through the program. 

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Edit: In regards to verifying the backup you can mount the vhd file to a virtual disk using Disk Management but I can't confirm if being able to see your files is enough of a verification. Both programs I linked to allow you to verify the image once it is backed up.

http://www.howtogeek.com/125704/how-to-extract-individual-files-from-a-windows-7-system-image-backup/

Note: If you are having troubles with Quicken in Windows 7 it is likely your troubles will continue in Windows 10. You have until 2020 until Windows 7 is no longer supported with Security Updates and some computers are not verified for Windows 10. You may also have trouble finding drivers for older hardware such as printers.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2016 - 09:20 PM.

#3 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:31 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I did download macrium reflect and was going to use it but got confused, tried windows again and thought it worked.  I am not usually this ummmm whats the word? Addle-brained?  Have had a lot going on, not much good and my brain is mush.  I have printed out some of the instructions for macrium - hopefully that will clear the cobwebs.  

I was told that the support for Windows 7 was ending and that my computer was more vulnerable.  I will probably stick with it if that is not true.  I like it.   Quicken 2016 has been horrible, I had to update because 2013 was not supported, I have never had so much trouble with a program.  I have to do a clean uninstall and re install it every 2-3 times I use it!  Trying to figure out what to do and hoping that Quicken comes out with a new patch soon.  I am also looking into other financial software.  I have a very small (me) photography business and need something to categorize business expenses but, at this point, I am almost ready to go back to entering in a register by hand!

Thank you again for the help.  I will delete the windows files and backup again with macrium.  

Ann 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:58 AM

Your Windows 7 computer will continue to receive Security Updates until 2020 so it is not vulnerable as far as that goes. 

See this video on Macrium. It may help. May sure all partitions are checked when doing the disk image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_9qmbf3aA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users