Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the standard limit for background processes?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

I have many apps on my Android phone. Background processes in developer options are set to standard limit by default. How many processes means that? As much as possible? I want to limit the number of processes to 4. I know that would give me a better performance. But I'm not sure if it could affect the apps in a negative way. Any opinions?

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

This is from chankeypathak over at XDA Delevopers

Setting this option forces Android to stop each process as soon as it is empty (that is, when no services are started and no activities are on screen for that app).

To be clear: this option won't stop apps that would normally run in the background from doing so. Your mail client will still run periodically to check mail, if it's configured to do that. Apps that use Google Cloud Messaging to receive push messages from Internet servers (such as Gmail and Facebook) will still be able to do so. The option would be better named "Cached background process limit", since it limits apps that would otherwise show up with that label in the apps manager.

Next time each app needs to start, Android has to load the app from storage, from scratch. This uses more power and takes longer than running it again when the process was in memory. This doesn't just mean when you start an activity from that app deliberately; it also means the email client has to be loaded afresh each time it wants to check email. Over time this can build up to a huge battery drain.

Because this is a development option, it can also trigger rare bugs in certain apps, and those apps' developers may not be keen to fix them. One example is that, on Nexus devices running 4.2.2, when this option is on, the in-built Calendar app will keep restarting itself with this option set, because stopping the cached background process causes the calendar's content provider to be removed, which causes a loop of services restarting each other to check for calendar updates. If this happens, the loop will run down your battery very quickly.

Overall I can agree, limiting the background processes is just for app dev, and if you limit apps that auto run, they will still run.  So Standard Limit is saying the standard amount that can be used on your device by the available RAM before something has to be closed.  So there is no HARD number due to different RAM sizes.  So more RAM more in the standard limit.

Hope that helps,

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info. But the DiskInfo on my phone still displays 600MB / 831MB used with 4 background processes. This is nearly as much as with Standard Limit setting. However the perfomance seems to be a little bit better.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

It will.  Unless you get a list of process and go in and manually disable each one you don't want then it will stay that way.

But remember if you don't know what you are disabling then don't do it, cause everything from WiFi not working, to the touchscreen not working can happen.

2 other items for you to ponder.... 1. don't mess with the developer setting unless you have to.  2. Install a antivirus if you don't have it already. 

Also disabling items like auto rotation, face recognition, gyro and GPS and not using 4G unless you need to will help with that and your battery. 

Games, email blah blah blah that alert you, push data etc will eat your RAM.

With about 50 of all things disabled on my phone that I never use, I still run about half RAM, its what Android does. 

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

- I'm using System Monitor which ends a number of tasks running in background.

- I have Avast Mobile Security installed.

- Face recognition and GPS already disabled.

- Scyronization is off + No push notifications.

- Some bloatwares are disabled etc.etc.

Thanks anyway for your kind help.

Selective boot (F12):

#6 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:56 PM

no problem, if your phone is a few years old that could also be why.  Apps get bigger.  any who good luck.

CZARBOOM 

#7 bestuseful

bestuseful

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

Change limit background process affects your device including battery performance, thirdy party apps & stop more loaded apps and more.  You can choose limit from no background processes / 1 process at most / 2 process at most / 3 process at most / 4 process. Using this article step by step guide to set background process limit android phone. I hope this article will help you to solve your problem.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users