Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

isleaked.com - can they be trusted?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daimonion

daimonion

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

Hi, so I just installed windows 10 and found isleaked.com and their help to set privacy settings. I just did it without questioning them. Then I noticed that perhaps I shouldn't trust them blindly due to rumours of some type of scam. I think all of the steps were just fine, but I' not sure about step 7. Could you check and see if perhaps I made a mistake doing step 7?

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

I don't even know what telemetry is, but it's disabled now. I think...

Edited by daimonion, 16 June 2016 - 07:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:22 AM

Step 7 is fine.  As long as it said deleted successfully and service stopped it's all good.

To be honest you should never type commands into your cmd that you see off website unless you know what it is, or that you completely trust the source.  But those commands are fine, they are just deleting certain services that Windows uses, and then setting a registry key to 0. 

Telemetry is just what windows is branding as data.  It is anonymized data that gives them information about how users are using their software. 

#3 daimonion

daimonion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

Step 7 is fine.  As long as it said deleted successfully and service stopped it's all good.

To be honest you should never type commands into your cmd that you see off website unless you know what it is, or that you completely trust the source.  But those commands are fine, they are just deleting certain services that Windows uses, and then setting a registry key to 0. 

Telemetry is just what windows is branding as data.  It is anonymized data that gives them information about how users are using their software. 

"As long as it said deleted successfully and service stopped it's all good."

It didn't say that though. Just said operation completed or something like that. It's probably still fine, I suppose(?) And you're right. I shouldn't just trust any site like that blindly.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

If you want to know if these two services were deleted successfully, it's easy. Open your command prompt (cmd.exe), and enter the commands below one by one.
sc query diagtrack
sc query dmwappushservice
If it returns you information on the service, it means that it's still there. If it returns you an error message saying that the service cannot be found, then it's been deleeted.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users