Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee To Blame For Horribly Slow Computing?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 c214

c214

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:46 PM

Hi all,

I was told to come over to this area by Old Timer. I'm having a hell of a time with my computer -- basically, most functions, from start up to opening any application to internet use and media play, have grinded to a slow, painful speed.

Here's Old Timer's suggestion:

Hello c214 and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. I see no signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

In many instances performance issues like you describe can be attributed to a damaged security product. Norton and McAfee are notorious for this. One thing you might want to try is completely uninstalling and then reinstall the complete McAfee package. The big security suites install and run so many processes and services that if one of them becomes damaged it affects a multitude of other processes and services. I had a client where it took over 30 minutes to boot the computer up and another 30 minutes to open Outlook etc due to a runaway process in the security suite. Uninstalling and reinstalling resolved all of the problems.

Depending on what the issue is, sometimes the product cannot be installed normally and the company provides special tools for removing their product (McAfee included). These tools and information on how to use them can be obtained from the support section at the company who made the product. You can also get assistance here in the XP or Anti-Virus forums. If you go to either of those let them know that you have been to this forum already and no malware was found.

Cheers.

OT

--------------------------

I'm hoping someone can help. It's been like this for over a month, and I don't know what else to do.

Thanks!

Christian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bob Hill

Bob Hill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

>>It's been like this for over a month

My problems started with a McAfee upgrade at the end of July. Everything slowed to a crawl. I found a lot of dissatisfaction on the McAfee forums, and no posting that I could see as to what McAfee intended to do and when. I turned off some of their functions, but was still not satisfied with the slowness of my system.

Today I uninstalled McAfee and went with Zone Alarm. I don't like throwing away money, but it was costing too much in aggravation.

#3 c214

c214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

I would like to try it, is the uninstall complicated? Will I be able to clean sweep it out just through the typical uninstall? Or will files get left behind?

#4 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

anyway to get a refund from mcaffe?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

Which version of McAfee are you trying to uninstall?

McAfee Internet Security Suite 6 Quick uninstall instructions.
How to uninstall McAfee Security Suite.
Before uninstalling SecurityCenter, you must uninstall VirusScan, Personal firewall, Privacy Service, and SpamKiller.

Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x.
If your not using these versions or still are having problems, then try the McAfee Help Forum > FAQs. They have Removal tools for recent Mcafee products (McAfee products clean up tool) that can be downloaded from the links provided.

Be sure you download a replacement first but do not install until McAfee has been removed. Disconnect from the net, then install your replacement before going connecting back to the Internet.

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 c214

c214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

Terribly stupid question, but how do I know what version of McAfee I have? And I just got this big updated version, possibly the same one Bob Hill had. Will this have overwritten a version I previously had, or just augmented with newer protection schemes?

Sorry, but all this is Greek to me.

All I know is that I have something called McAfee SecurityCenter. I try right clicking on it to see properties to determine what version, but nothing comes up. Their customer support takes forever.

THanks again.

Christian

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

You can find the version for most software by following the path: Help/ About.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 c214

c214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

I tried that, and all I got was things about the trademark and copyright info.

Was I in the wrong folder?

Now my computer is freezing up, which despite all its faults it had never done before. Can someone tell me exactly how I find out what type of mcafee I have? Please, feel free to dumb it down, because I clearly have no idea what the he$* I'm doing. :thumbsup:

CL

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

Where do I find the following; McAfee version.

If you still are having problems with finding it, download and install Belarc Advisor. Be careful with the log it will create for you computer's profile. Belarc logs will show IPs, various product keys, serial numbers, and software installed with version numbers that should be kept private so don't post it.

#10 c214

c214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:45 PM

So here's what showed up from the Belarc scan:

McAfee Email Proxy Version 11,0,0,0 *
McAfee HackerWatch Service Version 8.0.162.0 *
McAfee Installer Version 2,0,0,0 *
McAfee Integrated Security Platform Version 1,0,0,0 *
McAfee Personal Firewall Version 8.0.198.0 *
McAfee Redirector Version 1,0,0,0 *
McAfee SecurityCenter Version 7,0,0,0 *
McAfee VirusScan API Version 11,0,0,0 *
McAfee VirusScan Version 11,0,0,0 *
McAfee, Inc. - VirusScan *

Virus Scan appears to be verison 11, which doesn't seem right, and the others all have different versions. How do I wipe it all out?

I'm truly sorry for taking this task and complicating it but if this can help solve my problems, I want to do it right the first time.

How should I proceed?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

What versions are showing in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs?

Also see: Determining what version of VirusScan you have on your computer

#12 c214

c214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

In add/remove, all that's there is McAfee Security Center, no version or further information.

When I right click the icon for McAfee in my taskbar, it does not give an "About" option. It gives me option to open the program, update it, scan, links, upgrade center and customer support.

Can you tell anything from the Belarc scan?

I have to believe I have the most recent version, as I just bought this computer a year and a half ago, always renew my subscription, and had the big upgrade overhaul in late July.

Would that be 8?

Also, I was told by a McAfee customer support tech that one of the problems I was having, with the email proxy program, was with the redirector portion of the service. He told me to run services.msc, and turn off the redirector program. I did that and it helped with email, so today I tried turning them all "off" temporarily to see if it had any affect.

I was able to turn off everything but the scanner, which it said I didn't have access to. I just tried to get back into the services program, and it's telling me that there's a run time error. However, my computer has been generally better without most of McAfee running. So I think we're on to something.

At this point, I'm willing to take someone's best guess as to which version I'm running, because I need to get it off my computer. I'm at wit's end with this thing.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

I'n not a McAfee user so I checked at the McAfee forums and it seems the versions listed in your Belarc log are correct. They have a forum for Personal Firewall Plus v8 and a forum for VirusScan 11. In that forum there is a discussion for Uninstall VS 11? [SOLVED].

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users