Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brightness bar not working properly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aarend

aarend

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me. I am currently running an L521X Dell XPS with windows 10 64 bit.

Recently I've had to wipe the computer and reinstall windows. I installed first the Windows 7 then updated for free to Windows 10.

After installing windows 7 I noticed the problem but thought the installation of windows 10 would solve it. The issue is the brightness bar. I've read the issue and tried the fixes for the common one that the brightness bar does not work at all. That is NOT my issue. I can change my brightness.

HOWEVER:

The screen is at its brightest when only 20% of the bar is used. One click higher makes the screen go black. As I go higher each click of the button alternates the screen brightness between dim and dimmer but never again does it reached the brightest. Once the setting is at 100% it is still dim. At 0% its very dim and like I said it slowly gets brighter till around 20%. Then it alternating as described above.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the intel driver but that did not seem to work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

Install NVIDIA graphic card driver from below url link.

"nVIDIA GeForce GT 630M/640M Driver for Windows 10 64-bit"
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=57JCJ&fileId=3475162917&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-15-l521x&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI

Posted Image

#3 aarend

aarend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:09 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply. I have just tried that and unfortunately it did not work.

Thank you

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

Can you take a screenshot of the issue and the brightness bar you using to control display brightness?

Posted Image

#5 aarend

aarend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:27 PM

I got it to work. So the bar where it is at is at maximum brightness. each tick lower will darken. Just one tick to the right will make it black for a few ticks and then it will alternate black and dim all the way to the right.

Attached Files

Edited by aarend, 16 June 2016 - 11:29 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:33 PM

You can use Problem Steps Recorder to automatically capture the steps you take on a computer, including a text description of where you clicked and a picture of the screen during each click (called a screen shot). Once you capture these steps, you can save them to a file that can be used by a support professional or someone else helping you with a computer problem.

How to Take Screenshots in Windows 10
http://www.howtogeek.com/226280/how-to-take-screenshots-in-windows-10/

"How do I use Problem Steps Recorder?"
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-use-problem-steps-recorder

Posted Image

#7 aarend

aarend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:40 PM

Ok that is really cool. I've never seen that.

So I don't know if you can see it on this but all I did was move the setting from where it was brightest to the left and it got darker.

Then to the right and it just changed between dim and dimmer all the way to the right. Never again reaching black.

Attached Files

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:55 PM

The slider is use to increase or decrease the LCD back light if you want to control the colour settings which enables you to set the contrast, sharpness, and colour depth (Digital Vibrance) and brightness of the images on your desktop you can manage color settings from NVIDIA Control Panel.

Posted Image

#9 aarend

aarend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

Yes I realize that but that's not the issue. The slider bar used to go from left to right. left being dim and then gradually going brighter till it was brightest at 100%. (all the way to right.

Now its brightest at the location that the screen shot is. Anything to the right is dimmer and to the left just makes it dimmer till its black.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:26 AM

Leave the slider where display is brighter and use NVIDIA Control Panel to control brightness of the images on the screen i never use that slider myself to configure brightness of the display. But issue is most likely is the buggy graphic card driver install latest version of Intel HD Graphic Family Driver.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users