Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HUGE PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Camc

Camc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

My name is Cameron and I am desperate for an answer that can help me out. My job is based around my home computer and I am not making income as long as it is down.

What happened: 

1. I restored my computer to factory, I did not need a disk as the drivers and windows 10 are supposed to auto install (i have restored to factory before with no problems, not sure why this time was different)

2. Everything went fine til the process was actually complete, my keyboard and mouse now do not work

When I start up my computer my keyboard and mouse turn on just fine, but when i get to the setup screen (Asks what language i speak, my timezone etc.) my keyboard and mouse shut off. The weird part is that my headphones, speakers, and microphone all work, just not the keyboard and mouse. I tried plugging them into other usb ports with no luck, its not the usb ports. I thought it might be a driver error so I plugged in another keyboard, and the other keyboard did the same exact thing. I was thinking of getting a ps/2 adapter for my computer but I can't afford waiting 5 days to have a chance at it working. I have tried shutting it down and unplugging/replugging everything in about 3 times with no luck.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm kinda dead in the water.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

G'day Camc, and Welcome to BC.

If you have access to another PC,, Go to THIS PAGE   and download a fresh copy of windows 10 to a usb thumb drive. You can now boot from this thumb drive.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Camc

Camc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:41 PM

Thank you, is this a permanent fix?

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:05 AM

Given Windows 10's ability to sometimes do the unexpected....I can make no guarantee.

However...when you have the system running nicely....make a backup to an external drive, and then at least you have something to go back to.

Depending on your circumstances there you may wish to investigate making daily or weekly back ups...maybe monthly.....

Some of the backup software is free....and is quite good. Some you pay for and usually carries a few extra features with it.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

I think you need to go into the BIOS and change the options for USB Legacy support or USB Keyboard support (Mouse, too if its there)  Those options; though, are completely BIOS specific so we'd need the make and model of the PC to go further.

Two other notes:

Many keyboards are not PS/2 compatible so an adapter won't necessarily work!  (You ought to be able to get a PS/2 keyboard for less money, anyway)

With Windows 10, unless the PS/2 ports are used during setup, they usually have to be manually enabled!

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 Camc

Camc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28223_28241&products_id=264

This is my computer, its all default ironside minion advanced. I am not very tech savvy so I wouldn't know where to find something like a model #. I have yet to try booting windows 10 from a flashdrive, I will try that first.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Factory reset your computer again maybe first try had a issue factory resetting the computer.

Posted Image

#8 Camc

Camc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:03 PM

I cant factory reset if my keyboard and mouse dont work.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

Well they worked before when you factory reset your computer have you try to reset your computer again to check mouse and keyboard works.

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 June 2016 - 09:13 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Camc

Camc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:13 PM

Like I have said before, I tried turning off my computer, unplugging and replugging everything back in with no luck. I tried switching usb ports aswell. Nothing seemed to work.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:29 PM

Looks like you have factory reset your computer with Reset button from Settings that is included with Windows 10 you may also reset your computer with special function keys assign by your computer manufacturer i will check for you if you can proved me with your computer brand name and module number. 

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 June 2016 - 10:30 PM.

Posted Image

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

My bad you already provided the information give me little time for me to have a look.

Posted Image

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:48 PM

Your computer does not have factory recovery partition which contains factory recovery image to reset computer to its factory settings. If you don't have a Windows Setup DVD then create yourself a Windows 10 setup DVD or USB flash drive with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool you can use the Windows 10 setup media to reset or clean install Windows 10.

Posted Image

#14 Camc

Camc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:51 PM

Could you give me a step by step instructions on how to do this? And can I do it with no keyboard or mouse?

Edited by Camc, 16 June 2016 - 10:52 PM.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

Instructions for creating a bootable media is at Windows 10 Media Creation Microsoft website. For installing Windows 10 without mouse and keyboard no you cannot well only way to achieve this to create unattended Setup media for Windows 10 which provides a complete listing of all the settings that you can use to automate the configuration and the deployment of Windows 10 for desktop editions. This is  complicated process to explain in few words more like i will need to write a tutorial for it which wont be small one. We don't know if your mouse and keyboard will or not work with Windows 10 Setup media i don't see why they will not function to find out you need to try Windows 10 Setup media.

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 June 2016 - 11:06 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users