Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade fail; No boot; avgidsha.sys

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gunther123

gunther123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:34 PM

TLDR::

Had Windows 8.1, attempted upgrade to Windows 10, upgrade failed.  Laptop won't boot.  Getting error that Interwebs indicates is an AVG anti-virus issue with W10 upgrade.  AVG recommendation is to rename avg system files and try boot again.  I can't access the file system of the hard drive to make the changes to the files.  Also, I would like to access the file system to backup the existing data files.

Long story below....

Lenovo G580 laptop.

Was running Windows 8.1.

Upgrade to Windows 10 attempted.  I wasn't there for this part but I was told the laptop took a long time and rebooted a few times but then eventually it comes up to this error:

"Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media.  If you don't ahve any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administration or PC manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings"

If I press Enter, I the computer reboots and within a few seconds comes back to this:

"Recovery....

The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File: \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\avgidsha.sys

Error code: 0xc0000359

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media.  If you don't ahve any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administration or PC manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Googling this info, I have found this (https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en_US&urlName=Disabling-AVG-when-Windows-cannot-start) that indicates I should go into the file system and modify the filenames.  Using the AVG Rescue CD/USB did not work.  With the USB inserted, the system would only boot up to the ...225 error.

F8 gives me 9 options about debugging, boot logging, low-res video, safe mode, blah, blah, blah.  But every option I select just sends me back to the avgidsha.sys error message.

Pressing Esc goes back to the ...225 error message.

If I press F8 and ignore the 9 options but press Esc there, I get "Windows Boot Manager" that tells me to choose an OS to start.  My only option is Windows 8.1.  OR I can select "Windows Memory Diagnostic".  If I select Windows 8.1, the computer reboots and takes me back to the ...225 error message.  On the select OS screen, if I press Esc to "cancel", it shows me the following error:

"Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
Info: The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors."

I have tried booting to a recovery USB and CD but neither options works.

I have tried entering the system bios but I am never presented with a message to press a key to enter BIOS.  I have tried repeatedly pressing F2, F1, F12, F11, Esc, Del.  Nothing works.

Lenovo has a "OneKey Rescue System" button, or a Novo Button, that I can press when the system is off and the system will power up to a DOS style "Novo Button Menu" that presents options:
Normal Startup
BIOS Setup
Boot Menu
System Recovery

Normal Startup, BIOS Setup and Boot menu all do the same thing.  Nothing!  They all just go to the ...225 error message.

System Recovery takes me to a "OneKey Recovery" (Version 8.0.0.0710) that provides me the option to "Restore from initial backup" (The system partition will be restored to the initial status.)  or "Restore from user's backup", of which I have none.  There is also a warning message that states "When you restore your system partition, all the data created after the selected restoration point is deleted if it wasn't backed up."

With the hard drive inside the laptop, this is as far as I have been able to get.  Everything else I have tried has resulted in nothing new.  So I pulled the hard drive out of the laptop....

I tried putting the laptop hard drive in a USB hard drive cradle and connecting it to another computer as a secondary, external, USB hard drive.  Windows 7, Windows 10, Linux (Ubuntu), OSX, all report that they could see the drive but they could not access the drive.  Windows 7 wanted to initialize the drive.  The others only showed the drive but provided no options to do anything with it.  I think maybe OSX would allow me to initialize or format the drive.  So not a whole lot of success here.

With the hard drive connected to the laptop via a USB hard drive cradle, I am now able to use a Dell "Windows 8.1 Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Products" recovery USB stick to boot the laptop.  Even though I am still unable to access the laptop BIOS or boot menu, with the laptop on and no hard drive inside, it just sits at a black screen until I insert the USB stick, then the Windows 8.1 installation/recovery starts up immediately.  I'm rather impressed at how magical this USB stick seems.  The AVG Rescue CD/USB will not boot the laptop at this point but this magical Dell Windows 8.1 Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 USB does boot it.

So, by booting into the Windows 8.1 install/recovery, I am able to get to a command prompt and run diskpart.  With the laptop's hard drive in the external USB hard drive cradle connected to the laptop via USB, I am able to see the disk in diskpart.  However, it doesn't show any volumes on the disk.  So I am unable to access the file system.

I am able to access the partition on the disk and it shows that the partition is:
Type: EE
Hidden: Yes
Active: No
Offset in Bytes: 4096

So I Google around a bit and find some reference to "un-hiding" a volume or partition.  They cite the method of doing this is to change the ID/Type of the drive.  Based on this reference "https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html" I see that type EE is "Indication that this legacy MBR is followed by an EFI header" and the recommendation is to change the type to "07" for "Windows NT NTFS".  I'm not entirely sure this is the correct path to take but I'm running low on options and high on frustration, so I opt to try this out.  Unfortunately, when I attempt to set the ID to 07 using the following diskpart command:

set id=07

I get this error:
"DiskPart has encountered and error: The parameter is incorrect.
See the System Even Log for more information."

I have Googled the error but I can't find anything helpful.

I have also tried setting the ID to a GPT ID but it failed as well.  I'm assuming that since the existing type is "EE", then I should not be using the GPT ID anyway, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on where to go from here?

Again, my ultimate goal is to access the file system to rename the AVG system files and get the thing to boot again.  Secondary goal is to access the file system just to be able to save the data files.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunther123

gunther123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

Hey...  I was able to access the drive when connected via the USB hard drive cradle on the latest version of Ubuntu.  The older version of Ubuntu only showed the drive but gave me no options to access it.

It appears that the drive might be failing.  I was able to copy the data I wanted.  I was also able to modify the avg system files as directed in the AVG support link provided in my previous post.  However, the system will still not boot.  Now it gets me back to essentially the same place as before but now it balks at file avgboot.sys or something like that.  However, this file was renamed in the earlier step, so I'm not sure what is going on there.

Anyway, I got my data and suspect the drive is failing, so I'm just going to replace the drive and install Windows 10 fresh.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

Be sure you can get the Windows 10 drivers from Lenovo.  Otherwise you may find things like the touchpad and WiFi might not work.  Laptops use proprietary parts, unlike desktops for the most part, so having the manufacturer's supported drivers is critical.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

Hello gunther123 and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

Error code: 0xc0000359

Press Enter to try again

The error 0xc0000359 suggests that avgidsha.sys is 32-bit

And yes you need to rename it

Do you have Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 install disk?

If not, you can do so using the Media Creation Tool here

I am able to access the partition on the disk and it shows that the partition is:

Type: EE

Hidden: Yes

Active: No

Offset in Bytes: 4096

So I Google around a bit and find some reference to "un-hiding" a volume or partition.  They cite the method of doing this is to change the ID/Type of the drive.  Based on this reference "https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html" I see that type EE is "Indication that this legacy MBR is followed by an EFI header" and the recommendation is to change the type to "07" for "Windows NT NTFS".  I'm not entirely sure this is the correct path to take but I'm running low on options and high on frustration, so I opt to try this out.  Unfortunately, when I attempt to set the ID to 07 using the following diskpart command:

set id=07

I get this error:

"DiskPart has encountered and error: The parameter is incorrect.

See the System Even Log for more information."

I have Googled the error but I can't find anything helpful.

I have also tried setting the ID to a GPT ID but it failed as well.  I'm assuming that since the existing type is "EE", then I should not be using the GPT ID anyway, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on where to go from here?

Again, my ultimate goal is to access the file system to rename the AVG system files and get the thing to boot again.  Secondary goal is to access the file system just to be able to save the data files.

Thanks.

Warning! Please read this first.
Do NOT change the id.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users