Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck on motherboard start up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gaga43

Gaga43

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hello this is my first post on this forum and the only reason I'm here is because I'm physically drained.... I decided about 3-4 years ago I was going to build my own computer so I started out with an antec 1200 got myself a combo mobo/cpu gigabyte g1.guerrilla rev 1.0 and an Intel i7 960 3.4hz I believe.... Next I purchased an ocz modXstream-pro 700w psu... Then I found a sweet deal on 3 sticks of 8g 1600hz of ram.... Purchased a western digital 1.5 tb hard drive and they accidentally sent me an extra 2tb(bonus) then I bought my graphics card which is an msi n460gtx cyclone(there were 2 models mine is the bigger one) bought just a cheapy cd rom and then a corsair AIR cpu cooler... Had some issues getting fans plugged in ended up figuring it out for it all running and was fine and dandy for a while took it to a pc store for minor issues and then the horror started.... Shut it down one night went to go turn it on few days later and it's stuck at the mobo screen tried getting into bios and had no luck just stuck... Tried different keyboards instead of usb used the old style no luck... Unplugged everything no luck.... Tried testing everything and all tested fine.... So I reinstalled windows... Computer worked again for some time then did it again.... And every time I lose EVERYTHING.... Got it running again then started playing "ark" my graphics wasn't good enough so ordered another gpu exactly the same as what i had put the sli cable in went to go turn it on and a flash then nothing.... Figured my power supply couldn't handle 2.... Took the 2nd gpu out nothing had to reinstall Windows AGAIN... Since then till now I have has the mobo screen problem a few times and don't waste my time anymore and just reinstall Windows.... Well I am sick of reinstalling windows and need some help.... I'm sick of losing all of my stuff over and over again

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2016 - 11:14 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gaga43

Gaga43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:49 PM

Wow now I put in my windows disk and it doesn't do a damn thing..... I can get it to go to the post screen using tab on start up but that does nothing

Edited by Gaga43, 15 June 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

One of the best hardware and software BC techs, dc3, is on the west coast, making it 7:33+- pm, if/when he sees this, whatever he says to do, do, he won't steer you wrong.  Meanwhile, I think you already indicated you did the "bench test/bench rebuild."  I will assume that you already made sure the mobo is properly "grounded and supported," -- I cannot remember the technical terms for that; you checked the cabling, etc.  I can relate!  In a different theatre of war, I had to software-wise reDo a friend's Windows 7 Starter, and finally am able to do my second round of backups onto two 128GB sticks. Well, ok, I restored a few-month old image, tweaked and tweaked and tweaked through-out the day, in spurts. Next, his wife's Toshiba, which I hope won't require a re-image from a 3-4 month old backup 'cause she does have some data on it.

Edited by RolandJS, 15 June 2016 - 09:39 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Gaga43

Gaga43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:54 PM

Properly grounded? Is there a ground wire I have to run to the case?!?! If not I have those brass legs in the case with the mobo screwed to them.... I'm also running Windows 10 that I got as a download from windows but prior I was running Windows 7

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

"...Properly grounded? Is there a ground wire I have to run to the case?!?! If not I have those brass legs in the case with the mobo screwed to them..."  I'm sure you did all the right things!  Don't change anything for now.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Gaga43

Gaga43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

The only thing I have noticed is the ram I was trying to run my mono doesn't support.... So I put in 2 8g 1333MHZ sticks.... Still did nothing and they are in the correct slots

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

So you can get to a certain point, which is all you ever could apparently, and then the system flakes out right? If it were me taking in your rig I would never assume that all initial building steps were done correctly something could have been missed or overlooked. It happens.. I would take the mobo out of the case. All parts off, and inspect not only the standoff count but that standoff are secure. Make sure it matches the standoff pattern on the mobo exactly. Not too many not too few just the exact standoff pattern. I would then blow out the dimm slots & entire mobo  with the mainboard ouf of the case. I would inspect the slots for anything sitting in there like a tiny rolled up piece of lint etc. I would also pull the heat sink off and inspect things closely and reseat it with some new thermal interface material (TIM) with the processor after cleaning it properly. Basically what I am saying is never assume anything because the most simple thing, and one tiny missed step can cause these type issues. Like a slightly bent mobo CPU pin, or an errant case standoff (too many-not enough etc). I would also investigate if you might need to update the BIOS as well write down the version you have and compare it with the versions that have been released for your board.

Basically what all of this does, through the re-build process is it covers any potential misstep you may have had when you initially built it, and at the same time covers the CPU pins examination, reinserting and the reapplication of TIM, and also any possible errant standoff issues, as well as addressing a possible BIOS update.

Edited by Zone_86, 17 June 2016 - 06:22 PM.

#8 Gaga43

Gaga43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

done that multiple multiple times... ended up swapping to my spare cheap piece of crap mobo and works fine

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:47 AM

Good you got it going. What was your original mainboard and also the board that worked?

#10 Gaga43

Gaga43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:16 AM

something happened with my gigabyte g1.gurrilla... used my msi a58m-e33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users