Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best OS for old HP touchscreen laptop? HP TX2000. Droid?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisarnt

chrisarnt

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

Any tips here?

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2016 - 11:39 AM.
Moved from System Building to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

For daily use, Windows 8.1 32 bit. 

Very touch screen friendly, and has very low requirements. Had it running smoothly on similar old laptops with just as little RAM. 

I mean there a ton of supper low requirement Linux distributions, but then you run into the pain that is setting up Linux to do anything. Not to mention not touch friendly. 

Edited by SEANIA, 15 June 2016 - 06:04 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

Really?

You think?

This thing is running like a core 2 T7200

Yeah, I don't want to use linux. this will be the Laptop the little kids play angry bird on and watch DVDs

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:02 PM

Really?

You think?

This thing is running like a core 2 T7200

Oh I know. I checked the specs before posting.

That laptop came with Windows Vista *shudders*. That thing would've been garbage slow for vista. When Vista launched. Manufactures just re-branded a ton of their XP laptops and desktops as "Vista certified" and sold them as such. Laptops, which, had no where near the specs required to actually run Vista. Only the specs to turn it on. 

That^ is one of those laptops. 

However windows 8/8.1 was made to run on computers running Windows XP- unlike Vista or Windows 7. So even though that is a windows XP computer. It'll run 8 perfectly. 

Like I said. I've installed windows 8 on laptops with AMD dual core Turion CPUs and only 2GB of RAM before. The AMD equivalent of Intels core2duo series at the time. Ran good.

Only suggestion would be that if it uses a SATA connection for the hard drive, I'd drop a cheap 120GB 45$ SSD in it. Assuming you're comfortable with doing that and spending the 45$ in it. Would increase battery life (wouldn't be surprised if the battery isn't dead dead considering its age), and make a ton faster. 

Also would like to note that nothing else you could put on it would Run Angry Birds anyways. I mean yeah Android, but the drivers would be nonexistent considering the age. With Windows8, even if the drivers don't exist, you can manually install older windows driver they'll work. Lot of the installs will see windows 8 as a non windows machine and refuse to install them, but they'l still unpack the drives which you can tell the system to look at and use. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users