Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading hard drive to SSD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jt233

jt233

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

Hello I have a Dell Studio 1749 laptop and would like to upgrade the Hard drive to an SSD so that it will startup quicker as well as open programs quicker. I've been searching online but don't know which ones will fit in a laptop or if there is a special type I should get. Also I would like to know how it connects to the motherboard? Right now it has a 500gb HDD the cpu is a 2.7ghz i5 and it has 4gb ram.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by jt233, 15 June 2016 - 02:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:52 PM

You can get a regular ssd and replace it with the one that is in there.  If you wanted to keep the 500gb you could get an adapter to replace the cd/dvd drive.

Hoppe this helps!

utl8q0-5.png

#3 jt233

jt233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

You can get a regular ssd and replace it with the one that is in there.  If you wanted to keep the 500gb you could get an adapter to replace the cd/dvd drive. I would be getting an ssd of the same size or larger than my current drive.

Hoppe this helps!

So you mean any SSD I buy will fit in the laptop? Also when it come to reloading windows I can just clone the drive to the ssd through usb dock. And then that way when I put it in the laptop I don't need to reinstall all my programs and documents right?

Edited by jt233, 15 June 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

Yes the SSD will fit in the laptop / or if it has outer casing which some do.

And you can Clone the Old OS to the new SSD if it comes with a CD Software to do so , or you can use MiniToolPartition Wizard to do the Clone - via the Usb docking station and then swap over and boot.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

And, some laptops even have a 2nd internal hard-drive bay.  My 2nd HD is disabled in Control Panel/Device Mgr until backup time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:25 AM

If this is the same as yours ,  as Roland suggested it may have Dual Drives .

http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/studio-17/pd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users