Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Laserjet keeps going offline, tried everything.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raven142

Raven142

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

Hello all. I hope you can help. I've put alot of hours into this. I have a business client that has this printer at the front desk.  (PRINTER IS HP M1212NF MFP)-2 pc's up front. 1st pc is windows home premium 32 bit and is the host pc. The second is win7 pro 64 bit. The printer is shared, not directly connected to the network. This has worked that way for a long time, but suddenly now, it only prints intermittently. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer on the 2nd pc. -I am unable to install via cd or downloaded driver package because it cannot detect printer. I have installed by going to 'add printer' and browsing to the printer on the host pc.  It works for a bit, then goes offline. -  hp support agent software doesn't detect the printer. Microsoft fixit says it's offline. I've tried tinkering with port settings, but get the error " operation not supported. ( on host pc through properties) I have reset the printer, updated firmware, started and stopped spooler, etc.  I think maybe I need to add 64 bit pro driver on the networked machine and add addtional driver support on the host, but cannot find a way to do so. If that is not the problem, could it be an microsoft "update" that has caused the problem? Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:11 AM

The printer is shared, not directly connected to the network.

Then it is not a networked printer as the title of this thread suggests.

Does the host computer lose connection to the printer too? Or just the computers using the shared printer?

If the host computer too, you may need to totally uninstall the device, reboot, then start from scratch making sure it is working fine from the host. Then and only then, work on the remote computers.

If a problem only with the remote computer(s), this most likely is an issue with the host machine sharing the printer. This problem could be due to a Windows update, or with an update/configuration change with one of your security programs and can be difficult to troubleshoot.

Note this setup (sharing) is not ideal for many reasons - security being a big one. When you open up sharing, there are several vulnerabilities that may be exposed.

Since the M1212nf has an Ethernet port, why not make a true networked printer? This is a so much better for MANY reasons.

• First and foremost, no sharing required therefore much more secure,
  • No host computer needs to be turned on or booted up and running properly for other computers to print to the device (this is a biggie for me),
  • The printer can be centrally located anywhere on the network in convenient location for every user,
  • The printer is not tethered to a host computer, taking up a large portion of that user's desk space,
  • Everyone can print at the same time and the printer's internal print server will sort out the print jobs,
  • Because the printer's print server is managing the print jobs, the host's system resources are not being hogged for printing tasks.

All you need to physically set this up is connect an Ethernet cable from the HP to a spare Ethernet port on your router or switch. If no spare port, 5-port Gigabit (10/100/1000Mbps) switches can be found just about anywhere for under $25, less if you just go with a 10/100Mbps switch (but I recommend 1Gb for future proofing). After that, you ensure the correct driver is installed on every machine needing to print to that device, then install a new printer (the networked computer) on each computer and be good to go.

From what I see, that HP has an embedded sever too. This is really nice as it allow any users to just enter the device's IP address into their browser and they can check printer and toner status or even scan documents without installing HPs bloated software on their systems.

By sharing this printer instead of networking it, you are not taking advantage of one of its greatest features your client paid for.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

#3 Raven142

Raven142
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thank you Bill for your detailed response. - Much better than the one I got from 'Macrosift' forum. - Not that we're surprised. I never even got a response from Hp's forum. - Can't believe I didn't think of a switch, but it's been a rough couple of months. I live in a small town, so there wasn't a switch available to buy locally, So, I took a router and turned it into a switch and it is working! However, now the back office P.C. can't connect to the server. I assume in need to get into the actual router and set that up, but they don't know their router password. So, unless you have another suggestion, I'm going to have to take down their network and reset the router. - Unfortunately, it is an Inn, so they are dead in the water while I do so. DO you have another suggestion?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

I usually carry an extra router with my calls, just for testing but it could be used to bridge the time needed to get the other reset without interruption.  Shared printers are a pain and mixed platforms make it even more intermittent.  I've seen other PCs interfere with anothers use of a shared printer on a third machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users