Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SAFARI E-MAIL LINK MISSING FROM TASK BAR ON MACBOOK.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Hi everyone, 

I have a Mac question that I could use help with.  I was working on a Client's computer earlier this week.  Here's the basics of the Macbook:

MacBook Air

OSX v10.8.4

8GB - 1600MHz DDR3 RAM.

That's all I know specwise. sorry.  

The Client inadvertently removed the SAFARI icon that someone set up for him in his Task Bar (at the bottom of the desktop display where all the other launch icons are), that linked him directly to his GMAIL E-mail login.  I'm not a big Mac guy; I am familiar with the basics, but am mostly a PC guy.  I was able to provide my Client with a workaround by reinstating the Safari icon on the taskbar, and by clicking the Safari icon, the Client can open up the browser, and he has a GMAIL shortcut on the favorites bar in Safari at the top of the browser home page to get to his GMAIL account.  

My question is (and I can do this on a Windows PC in seconds); how can you put an icon-shortcut onto the MacBook Air desktop task bar that when the Client clicks it once, it opens up Safari and takes him directly into his GMAIL account??  To be clear, I'm looking for a "single-click" solution here.  I already have a "2-click" workaround for him.

Any help from you Mac gurus would be greatly appreciated! :grinner:

Thanks in advance,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 15 June 2016 - 01:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

There are two ways you can do what you want.

The most straight forward way is to set the Safari home page to the Gmail login. Then when he clicks to open Safari, it will take him directly to the Gmail login. You can do this by opening up Safari. Then go to the Gmail login page. Once on that page, go to Safari's preferences under the Safari menu. On the General tab in the preferences, there should be a button for setting the home page to the current page. Click that button and the Gmail login page should be set as the home page. You will also want to make sure the that the "new windows open with:" setting is set to "Homepage". The only potential wrinkle with the option is that he cannot leave any Safari windows/tabs open when he quits Safari. If so, then those windows/tabs will open back up when re-openning Safari, not the home page. He could by-pass that by remembering to hold down the shift key when opening Safari.

The other option that does not have any wrinkles is to save a bookmark to the Dock (what you call the Task Bar). To do this, go to the Gmail login site. Click on the address in the address bar. This should highlight the full address such that you could type in a new address or search item...don't do that. With the full address highlighted, there should be a little icon just to the left of the address in the address field. Click and drag that icon. Drag that icon down to the Dock. You will need to drag it to the right end of the dock to the right side of the little vertical divider line on the dock. You can only save applications links to the left side of the vertical divider bar. It should stay there. Now, clicking on that saved bookmark in the Dock will open Safari to the Gmail login page, even if other windows/tabs were left open when Safari was closed (those windows/tabs will still open, but the Gmail login tab will be in the front).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users