Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

System refuses to connect to internet and/or outside servers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YantisOmegus

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

My PC says I have connection to my network and troubleshooter finds nothing wrong. I can connect to the internet with other computers on the network (I am on one now).

Today while working I was prompted by Windows with several updates, one being for my network card. I installed these updates and restarted my PC to find the software I use for work will not connect to their servers and crashes. After this I went to IE and attempted connecting to google.com with no success.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers for my network card, downloaded the latest drivers on this PC, transferred and installed with no change. I have tried system restore with no change. My PC is already set to automatically obtain the necessary values to connect to the network.

My network consists of one Belkin 8 port HUB, two PCs, one machine equipment and an AT&T router (all wired). Everything functions as normal with the exception of my aforementioned issue.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I should also mention, I can access my problem PC normally from this PC. It seems to only be outbound communications that have stopped.

Edited by YantisOmegus, 15 June 2016 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

My guess is this is a firewall setting in your computer, or your router is set to block (or only allow) specific IP addresses access to the Internet. You might try a full power cycle of your computer. Not just a shutdown, but a shutdown and unplug the computer from the wall for about 15 seconds. If your power supply has a master power switch on the back, you could flip that instead of pulling the power cord. The ATX Form Factor standard requires +5Vsb standby voltage be applied across several points on the motherboard (including the network adapter) when the computer is shutdown but still plugged into the wall (and master switch set to on). This allows for the front panel power switch to turn on the computer, but also enables several "Wake on..." commands, including Wake on LAN.

A full power cycle will ensure all standby voltages, and any settings they are holding, to be removed too. And [hopefully] all will get reset and work properly after the next boot.

There could also be a setting in the router to limit the number of devices that access the Internet.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!

#3 hamluis

• 54,995 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

Agree with Bill, outbound connection problem may be firewall related.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users