Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external usb drive will not format

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrea2

andrea2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

Hi, I have an Hitachi HDE1010SLA330 1 TB USB External Drive that I was formatting in 4 partitions yesterday until about 6.00 pm last night when the electric went off, just for a second, then back on again.  Before that happened, the partitions were at 75% formatted NTFS.  Now, they just won't format at all.  Each partition will format so far, then all will stop, just like snapping your fingers.  Even trying them separately doesn't work.

I have had 2 of these drives for about 8 years now and this is the first bother I've had with either of them.  Because the drive isn't formatted I can't check it in any way that I know of.  Anyone know any different, please?  Could it be the spike in the electric has done damage to the drive?   

Thank you for reading and in advance for any help offered.

andrea

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

Download and install Partition Wizard. Delete All Partitions. Create your new partitions. All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until the Apply button is clicked. Therefor you can create all partitions and then click Apply. I would create at least one partition as primary.

If Delete All Partitions does not work then do a zero wipe quick on the drive first then create the partitions.

#3 andrea2

andrea2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

Hi JohnC
Thanks for your reply.
I downloaded Partition Wizard as you suggested and my drive is up and running again. That programme is now added to my arsenal for future reference. Many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Thanks again.
andrea

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Your Welcome, glad you are up and running.

Another suggestion. I am sure you already know of the importance of backups but if not use the external and a program like Macrium Reflect Free to create a complete disk image. This will let you recover your computer in case in no longer boots because of a bad drive or file system corruption. It will also offer to create a bootable recovery disk or USB flash drive. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 June 2016 - 02:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users