Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset Windows 10 password

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 anvendarnamn

anvendarnamn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hi!

Anyone knows how to reset password for a local user account on Windows 10? I cannot login at all atm. 

The trick with changing utilman.exe doesnt work anymore and I dont want to try third party applications without knowing if they work or what it is I actually run. If you know an application that is safe to use please tell me.

I know utilman trick worked in early versions of Windows 10 but it seams they have patched it now. With utilman trick I mean the one on this page. http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

Does the utilman hack allow you to enable the hidden Administrator Account?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

I can't confirm this will work on Windows 10 but there is a registry edit that enables the Hidden Administrator Account on Windows 7. Use this at your own risk

http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 June 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#3 Kofiko

Kofiko

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:16 PM

The below tutorial should work and sometimes the Winaero site is slow to load but it will

http://winaero.com/blog/reset-windows-10-password-without-using-third-party-tools/

#4 anvendarnamn

anvendarnamn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:23 AM

The below tutorial should work and sometimes the Winaero site is slow to load but it will

http://winaero.com/blog/reset-windows-10-password-without-using-third-party-tools/

Thank you, Kofiko! This worked.

Does the utilman hack allow you to enable the hidden Administrator Account?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

I can't confirm this will work on Windows 10 but there is a registry edit that enables the Hidden Administrator Account on Windows 7. Use this at your own risk

http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/

John, I didnt try your solution since Kofiko sounded like he knew that his solution would work. But thanks for trying to help!

Edited by anvendarnamn, 16 June 2016 - 03:46 AM.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

Actually, the UTILMAN trick still works; but, needs some different commands. 

1) Boot to the DVD/USB installation disk and do the UTILMAN file copy.

2) Reboot and, on the login screen do WinKey+U to get the CMD window. (On all of my WIN10 PC's, the Ease of Access button is no longer on the login screen)

3) In it, type NET USER ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD /ACTIVE:YES<enter> (Put your own password where I typed PASSWORD; but, it needs to be something)

4) And SHUTDOWN /S /T 0<enter> (That's a zero and the PC will shutdown)

5) Turn it back on and the administrator account will show in the lower left hand corner.

I just did it after reading this thread last night.

BIG NOTE:  If you have created the Microsoft account so the login screen shows your email address, you had better follow the forgot password path and be prepared to change the password on every device you have!

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 anvendarnamn

anvendarnamn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:13 AM

Actually, the UTILMAN trick still works; but, needs some different commands. 

1) Boot to the DVD/USB installation disk and do the UTILMAN file copy.

2) Reboot and, on the login screen do WinKey+U to get the CMD window. (On all of my WIN10 PC's, the Ease of Access button is no longer on the login screen)

3) In it, type NET USER ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD /ACTIVE:YES<enter> (Put your own password where I typed PASSWORD; but, it needs to be something)

4) And SHUTDOWN /S /T 0<enter> (That's a zero and the PC will shutdown)

5) Turn it back on and the administrator account will show in the lower left hand corner.

I just did it after reading this thread last night.

BIG NOTE:  If you have created the Microsoft account so the login screen shows your email address, you had better follow the forgot password path and be prepared to change the password on every device you have!

I have tried to copy the file a couple of times but I just get a response telling me I cant modify the files.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

I thought you said the winaero method worked?

What I did:
Booted to a Windows 10 installation DVD created 5/9/2016 using the media creation tool.
At the setup screen, ALT-F10 which brought up a CMD window.
In the CMD window:
DIR D:<enter> (to verify Windows was now on the D drive)
D:<enter> (to switch to that drive)
CD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32<enter> (Prompt changes to D:\Windows\System32)
COPY UTILMAN.EXE UTILMAN.BAK<enter> (makes a backup copy)
COPY CMD.EXE UTILMAN.EXE<enter> (Prompts that the file exists, do I want to overwrite it. Said Y for yes)
EXIT<enter>
Clicked Cancel to abort setup and reboot PC.
At the login screen (not the lock screen), did WinKey+U which invokes UTILMAN now CMD.

"Can't modify files" is not a normal MS-DOS result; but, I think you may not have switched to the correct drive letter. That is why I did DIR D:, to verify it was the drive with the Windows folder. If it hadn't been there, I would have tried DIR C: then DIR E: (etc.) until I found the correct drive.

#8 anvendarnamn

anvendarnamn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

I thought you said the winaero method worked?

What I did:
Booted to a Windows 10 installation DVD created 5/9/2016 using the media creation tool.
At the setup screen, ALT-F10 which brought up a CMD window.
In the CMD window:
DIR D:<enter> (to verify Windows was now on the D drive)
D:<enter> (to switch to that drive)
CD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32<enter> (Prompt changes to D:\Windows\System32)
COPY UTILMAN.EXE UTILMAN.BAK<enter> (makes a backup copy)
COPY CMD.EXE UTILMAN.EXE<enter> (Prompts that the file exists, do I want to overwrite it. Said Y for yes)
EXIT<enter>
Clicked Cancel to abort setup and reboot PC.
At the login screen (not the lock screen), did WinKey+U which invokes UTILMAN now CMD.

"Can't modify files" is not a normal MS-DOS result; but, I think you may not have switched to the correct drive letter. That is why I did DIR D:, to verify it was the drive with the Windows folder. If it hadn't been there, I would have tried DIR C: then DIR E: (etc.) until I found the correct drive.

The winaero method did work but I had tried the method you say works before and it didnt work. I was not on the wrong drive letter. I have used your method several times on windows 7 without any problems but it didnt work on windows 10.

I did read about other users having the same problem as me with not being able to modify the files. I dont remember the actual ms-dos result but I couldnt modify these files.

As I said, I have even read about other people that could not copy or rename the utilman.exe. On one site I saw that someone said that this trick stopped working after an update(dont know which one). The problem occurs aftert "COPY UTILMAN.EXE UTILMAN.BAK<enter> (makes a backup copy)"

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

I don't think it was any update which caused your problem; but, rather a permissions issue on the System32 folder.  The PC I did it on was completely updated when I did it.  If the SAM database gets messed up, even booting from the installation DVD won't produce administrator permissions or, for all we know, we're dealing with the residual consequences of a previous infection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users