Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kubuntu 14.04 - a lot for a beginner?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

I saw this statement in another thread with two "plus ones":

Kubuntu 14.04 is a beast, a lot for a beginner. "Mint Mate" or "Mint KDE" might be better

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616757/my-ignorance-thanks-for-the-help/?p=4020227

...which inspired me to start this thread.

To compare Kubuntu 14.04 with Mint KDE in the first instance (because they both use KDE), in what ways is Mint KDE better for a beginner than Kubuntu 14.04?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

Taken from Linuxmint.com

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=200795

They are extremely similar. I run Kubuntu 14.04 on my desktop, with Mint KDE 17.x on my laptop.

Some differences:

1. Kubuntu comes with a basic KDE install, and default configuration options. Mint KDE adds a lot of customizations out of the box, like right click root menus in dolphin. All this can be added to Kubuntu manually however, since the customization of KDE is always it's strong suit.

2. Mint KDE adds Mint specific tools like Update manager. Muon, teh default update manager in Kubuntu, sucks. I do everything from the terminal, so I don't care about either.

3. Mint uses a different theme and has different look by default

4. The LTS policies are slightly different. Mint 17.x sticks with the same base and kernel. However the 17.2 version will install a different kernel (3.16) if you install from scratch. Ubuntu 14.04 will always use the same kernel, but if yoy install 14.04.2 from scratch, you will get a 3.16 series kernel by deafult. In either case (Mint or Kubuntu), the 3.13 kernel will never upgrade automatically unless you manually request it.

5. The Non LTS versions of Kubuntu are more cutting edge, like 15.04 which previews KDE 5. Mint has no such options.

6. The kubuntu forums are very helpful, and the level of knowledge for KDE specific issues is generally higher than here.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:52 AM

root menus in dolphin

I wonder what he means by "root menu in dolphin."

Mint KDE adds Mint specific tools like Update manager. Muon, teh default update manager in Kubuntu

The difference in update managers is the first one that springs to my mind. I have always used Muon updater in Kubuntu though and have never had any issues with it, so again I'm not sure what this poster is referring to. If anything I would have thought Muon updater is more straightforward for beginners, because it doesn't divide updates into different "levels" like the Mint updater does.

6. The kubuntu forums are very helpful, and the level of knowledge for KDE specific issues is generally higher than here.

Again, this suggests that Kubuntu LTS is more suitable for beginners than Mint KDE.

I'll also add that Kubuntu users are welcome on the Ubuntu forum, whereas Mint users are usually sent packing to the Mint forum.

Edited by Al1000, 15 June 2016 - 05:54 AM.

#4 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:30 AM

root menus in dolphin

I wonder what he means by "root menu in dolphin."

Mint KDE adds Mint specific tools like Update manager. Muon, teh default update manager in Kubuntu

The difference in update managers is the first one that springs to my mind. I have always used Muon updater in Kubuntu though and have never had any issues with it, so again I'm not sure what this poster is referring to. If anything I would have thought Muon updater is more straightforward for beginners, because it doesn't divide updates into different "levels" like the Mint updater does.

Again, this suggests that Kubuntu LTS is more suitable for beginners than Mint KDE.

I'll also add that Kubuntu users are welcome on the Ubuntu forum, whereas Mint users are usually sent packing to the Mint forum.

How sad that last part is. I've been using Kubuntu for about 9 months or so and really enjoy it though I feel like I'm lost in a jungle. I participate in a couple of other forums (firearms / 4x4 vehicles / atv where I have assorted levels of knowledge. No way would I ever shun someone who for example, might ask a question about a Ford whereas the forum is primarily Chevy. I've never understood or tolerated that attitude. Oh well, you just can't let folks negativities slow you down. I appreciate you guys greatly.

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

Yeah Kubuntu 14.04 isnt that good

16.04 however is quite good despite some hiccups

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

Yeah Kubuntu 14.04 isnt that good

16.04 however is quite good despite some hiccups

I don't know enough to judge 14.04. What do you find negative about it? Thanks.

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

I always found Kubuntu buggy and unstable, and Kubuntu 14.04 had a few nasty ones that kept it off my list.

There is just a lack of detail with Kubuntu and it feels just bland compared to other KDE offerings.

Kubuntu 16.04 actually one of the better offerings from the 16.04 family, with only a handful of bugs that can be overcome

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

No way would I ever shun someone who for example, might ask a question about a Ford whereas the forum is primarily Chevy. I've never understood or tolerated that attitude. Oh well, you just can't let folks negativities slow you down.

In all fairness, the Ubuntu forum is intended for users of Ubuntu and its "flavours" which are Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu, but not Mint; just as the Mint forum is intended for users of Mint, but not *buntu.

#9 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

I always found Kubuntu buggy and unstable, and Kubuntu 14.04 had a few nasty ones that kept it off my list.

What bugs did you find, and in what way did you find it to be unstable?

Edited by Al1000, 15 June 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

What bugs did you find, and in what way did you find it to be unstable?

Mostly Plasma related bugs, While on other distros KDE 4.13 was quite solid on Kubuntru the maintainers seemed to have a very buggy version of it.

Plus Muon discover, it really was a crap piece of software unable to do the most basic operations such as installing codecs or better package managers like synaptic.

Plus a lot of inherit bugs in Ubuntu 14.04 were barely fixed in Kubuntu 14.04, plus installing outside software had a really nasty bug.

Sure Kubuntu 16.04 has some of those issues and yes Plasma has a few bugs in 16.04 but none I noted as that bad.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

Mostly Plasma related bugs

Can you describe any of them? What would you say was the worst one?

While on other distros KDE 4.13 was quite solid on Kubuntru the maintainers seemed to have a very buggy version of it.

I am wondering if I've ever come across any of these "bugs" as I've been using Kubuntu 14.04 since it was released, more or less.

I agree on Muon Discover. Have never liked it and hardly used it.

plus installing outside software had a really nasty bug.

What was it?

Edited by Al1000, 15 June 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

Plasma would crash at random on my machine, it had a habit of freezing and causing havoc on my hardware.

The issue I had for installing outside software was caused by gedebi and muon discover.

It would not install things like chrome and other non repo app.

I had to use several workarounds with it which just piled  up on my experience.

But hey YMMV if you had a good experience I wont down you for it, I am sure I am one of the few outsiders here.

Hey I like Ubuntu MATE 16.04 but many dismiss it as another 16.04 mess

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 June 2016 - 04:17 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,692 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Plasma would crash at random on my machine, it had a habit of freezing and causing havoc on my hardware.

That's interesting. I don't recall it ever freezing on my computer. And I mean not even once. This doesn't seem to be a widely reported issue either, so I guess most Kubuntu users don't have this problem.

The only time plasma has ever crashed with me is if I switch on my smartTV which is also plugged into a socket on my graphics card, during a session. When the computer goes from having one active monitor to having two active monitors, during a session, then, and only then, does plasma occasionally crash. Conky crashes a lot more often when I do that, and before I had a smartTV plugged into my computer plasma didn't crash at all. Again I haven't seen his being widely reported as a problem, so again I would guess that most Kubuntu users aren't affected.

I am sure I am one of the few outsiders here.

I think you're right. :)

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

That's interesting. I don't recall it ever freezing on my computer. And I mean not even once. This doesn't seem to be a widely reported issue either, so I guess most Kubuntu users don't have this problem.

I have also never experienced this.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

I was one of the "plus ones"...I fear I may have stuck my keyboard in my mouth on that...I answered based on my own experiences between when I first installed regular Ubuntu 14.04 and then tried Mint...Mint was easier for me, so... :oopsign: :unsure:

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users