Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:36 AM

I have not used my Apple in a while and now it seems the audio is not working and I have tried to adjust it in the usual places to no avail so is there some secret place/resource to get it working again?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:40 PM

What kind of Mac? Are you using external speakers? If so, do they plug in through the headphone jack or a USB port?

Have you tried creating a new user account, logging into that user account, and see if sound works in that user account?

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:56 AM

What kind of Mac? Are you using external speakers? If so, do they plug in through the headphone jack or a USB port?

Have you tried creating a new user account, logging into that user account, and see if sound works in that user account?

I have an I-Mac with what I guess are the most recent operating system updates.  It seems like I haad Mountain Lion installed but I think there are some other updates I never quite figured out.    I am not using external speakers but I'm thinking that I may have changed the set-up at one time because I was trying to use headphones on a video with poor audio but its been a while honestly and I'm not sure exactly I just vaguely recall that.   I usually use my Apple computer more frequently but was needing windows for a project.  Can you tell me how to check the settings?  Sorry to seem so clueless but its been awhile and I forgot when I switch back and forth how to do things.   I guess I could figure it out eventually but I was hoping to save myself some time that I am in short supply of lately so if you could help in that regard I'd be very grateful.

Edited by JayJax, 16 June 2016 - 02:00 AM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:06 AM

Go into the System Preferences app. Then select Sound. Select the Output tab. Make sure it is set to "Internal Speakers". While there, also make sure that the output volume is turned up and that Mute is not selected.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

Go into the System Preferences app. Then select Sound. Select the Output tab. Make sure it is set to "Internal Speakers". While there, also make sure that the output volume is turned up and that Mute is not selected.

I did as you suggested and found that it is set to Headphones and Headphone Port.   It says to select the sound output device but nothing is listed other than Headphones.   It does not list Internal Speakers?  

Edited by JayJax, 18 June 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:41 AM

Are the headphones still plugged in? It should only be set to Headphones and Headphone Port if something is plugged into the headphone port.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

Are the headphones still plugged in? It should only be set to Headphones and Headphone Port if something is plugged into the headphone port.

Thanks - the headphones were still plugged in.   I unplugged them and instantly got sound thru the internal speakers - so thanks for helping me get it figured out.   It's been a while since I used the headphones and if I remember correctly there were some extra steps to use them the first time.   But just now a few minutes after unplugging the headphones I plugged them back in again and they were working right away.   Anyway whether using them or the internal speakers all seems to be operating now so again, thanks for your help.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

No problem. Glad to help.

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members