Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to block a website IP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bohan

Bohan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:52 AM

I'm trying to figure out Windows Firewall on Windows 10, specifically how to prevent servers from sending things to my computer when I know their IP address. I'm open to suggestions on a different firewall, but I currently have "Windows Firewall With Advanced Security."

Here's what I tried without really knowing what I was doing. I found out the IP address of a website I wanted to block for this test. I wanted to prevent webpages from that site from showing in my browser even if I enter the address in the address bar. I created a new rule under "inbound rules" with these parameters:

Name: Bad website block test

Profile: all

Enabled: yes

Action: block

Override: no

Program: any

Local address: any

Remote address: [I put the IP address here]

Protocol: any

Local port: any

Remote port: any

Authorized users: any

Authorized computers: any

Authorized local principles: any

Local user owner: any

Application package: any

The home page still appears whether I enter the web address or the IP address in the address bar. What did I do wrong?

EDIT: I used the IP address that a web site gave me for the website I want blocked. Maybe that was the problem? I did a tracert and none of the IP addresses in the 20 hops matched the one I was blocking.

Edited by Bohan, 15 June 2016 - 01:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:14 AM

Good examples:

1. http://www.trishtech.com/2014/05/block-ip-address-windows-firewall-windows-8/
  2. http://www.ghacks.net/2014/02/17/block-ip-ranges-windows-firewall/

#3 Bohan

Bohan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

That first example says to make an outbound rule. I guess that was my mistake. I figured if I don't want to see a webpage then I want to filter inbound traffic. It works now!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

Outbound would mean you can't request the site in the first place. Hence why the rule works. Inbound would block traffic that is not solicited from the browser. Such as someone sending you a message on Skype or instant messaging app for example.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Bohan

Bohan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

If I have the URL of a website, can I create an inbound rule to block traffic from it? Would tracert tell me what IP to use for the rule? I tried that and it didn't seem to work. I'm still not sure why.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

If I have the URL of a website, can I create an inbound rule to block traffic from it? Would tracert tell me what IP to use for the rule? I tried that and it didn't seem to work. I'm still not sure why.

As noted by Animal, if you want a website to be prevented from showing up in your browser, then you need to block with an OUTBOUND rule. When you enter a web address into your browser, that is an OUTBOUND request/traffic. That is what you want to block.

And blocking by an IP address may or may not work as some websites use multiple IP address, I believe. Generally, you want to block by the URL/web address, not the IP address if you can.

#7 parasush

parasush

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Following links might help you block IP address of any website: 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-block-a-website/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/block-unsafe-websites-blocking-lists-windows-hosts-file/

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

Just to add, for big sites that use CDN's, the traffic will come from somewhere other then the main domain. Think of the website name being like the business sign, not inside the business. For smaller sites, that use virtual servers, the same IP may host multiple websites. Keep this in mind when blocking IP/websites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users