Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Admin password repeatedly compromised.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Thelps

Thelps

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

The Windows Administrator password on my machine is repeatedly being compromised.

Could someone with expert knowledge provide every way they can think of that someone could guess/hack/crack an Administrator password and ways to prevent this security vulnerability?

Due to work commitments the cost of time and effort repeatedly reinstalling the OS is no longer a reasonable option. It is necessary to directly identify how the password is being guessed and put measures in place to prevent this occurrence happening again.

My knowledge of Windows and research skills are advanced so don't hesitate to provide as many technical details as possible.

Your assistance in this matter is very appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

Hi Thelps,

First of all, how do you know that the password on your computer is being compromised?

Edited by Al1000, 15 June 2016 - 05:38 AM.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:55 AM

Who else has access to the PC ? 

What Operating System ?

Changing a Password is not a hard task for someone within a short time available 10min.

Instead of reinstalling the Operating System eachtime as you say , create an Image of the drive externally and if it happens again , reload the Image and see if the original Password works , if so someone is playing games with you that has access.

Ensure all security checks are in place  , Firewall , Modem passwords not default , etc.

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:26 AM

Certainly, all non-MS account passwords, which certainly include all Win 7 (and obviously earlier Xp, Vista, etc.) installations, can be effectively bypassed or reset in a few minutes with a variety of tools....

Are you certain no keyloggers are installed?

You could put in a system BIOS password...

If you are worried about someone accessing the system (assuming it is YOUR system and you are free to put security passwords on it), you could put in a complex syskey password....

What is the operating system, and, what makes you think anyone knows the admin password?

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

All of the earlier posters obviously have it right.  All I can add is:

-- Are we assuming correctly this is your work laptop -- being used at the office?  Being used away from the office?

Or, is this a desktop remaining at your office?

-- Are we assuming correctly you can acces UEFI or BIOS?  If yes, you can set UEFI/BIOS password, setup password.  [However, be forewarned:  If you set such passwords -- you can expect difficulties in getting in if there are boot/startup problems.  And, I highly recommend against setting hard-drive password/encryption if such a choice exists.  If that ever goes wrong, you will be reaching for your DBAN and Windows Install DVD.]

-- Are we assuming correctly that you have a strong password on your admin-level account?

-- Ditto...you have a strong password on your standard account?

Laptops' security can be quite iffy when laptops are used outside of the office, at home, at the library, at the coffee shop, etc.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 June 2016 - 06:36 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Thelps

Thelps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

I have implemented all advice provided above. This has been done and regularly updated (changing passwords etc.) 2 years or more ago. Unfortunately, my OS installs regularly fail after 2-6 months. This is not due to hardware error. All components are checked and functioning. Drivers are up to date.

I hoped that my original post implied that I was beyond the standard 'back everything up, have long passwords and accept that even then you need to reinstall your OS every couple of months' methodology.

I'm being targeted by an individual or an organisation. Similar to a fighter in the ring, I am currently pinned by an expert and am looking for ways to break such a hold, and how to prevent him advancing his advantage to a win.

So, since further specific information is available on request, but that none of your posts have yet yielded any new information, I'm still asking my original post's question. Please reread it if you think you can shed light on the situation.

My ultimate objective being strangely humble: To keep the contents of my PC private and to keep my (100% legal) use of the internet private. These two factors then allowing me to work on my PC.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

"...My knowledge of Windows and research skills are advanced so don't hesitate to provide as many technical details as possible..."  thread starter

I asked my questions for a reason, to have you provide BC with some technical details.

Computers, desktops and laptops, being only used in the office is one thing; quite often such are behind corporate-level, enterprise-level, server-based firewalls, security and monitoring programs.

Laptops, notepads, netbooks, from $100-$1600 [my newest Acer for example] being used in the office, in the field, in the home, in coffee-shops is another thing -- once from behind the corporate/enterprise server-based firewalls & etc., a whole new world.

You haven't told us desktop or laptop, where and how used; which Windows? 10? 8+? 7? Dual-booting?

There are some others [very high-powered people] who need to know some things from you in order to tailor their advice to your needs.  What if any Remote Access you're using, because there are "black boxes" available that can crack almost any/all "green-level" passwords within moments to minutes.  What if any Google documents sharing groups.  What others if any are also using your computer.

Edited by RolandJS, 15 June 2016 - 08:20 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:59 AM

You Quoted :

My knowledge of Windows and research skills are advanced so don't hesitate to provide as many technical details as possible.

Answer > We are not here to tell you how someone may have or the skills required to hack your PC.

But as you say your skills are Advanced - so general Google Queries would answer your Questions.

But if you think you have been Hacked or Infected then Post in the Am i Infected Section.

You Quoted :

repeatedly reinstalling the OS is no longer a reasonable option

Answer > Who with Advanced Skills would do this when not necessary or needed,  if Backups/ Images were implemented in the first place.

You Quoted :

So, since further specific information is available on request

Answer > We Request for you to give specific Information so other Experts can assist you further.

You Quoted :

To keep the contents of my PC private and to keep my (100% legal) use of the internet private.

Answer > Store Personal Info Offline or Encrypt it / and the internet has never been Private unless you put actions in place to prevent it.

I re read your first post here - and can still not shed any light on what you think or how we should reply with limited info provided than allready done by others.

And in your other Post - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614287/advice-on-how-to-use-the-internet-without-leaving-a-trail/#entry4001957

Edited by Havachat, 16 June 2016 - 05:16 AM.

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:11 AM

So, since further specific information is available on request, but that none of your posts have yet yielded any new information, I'm still asking my original post's question.

I would still offer the same response: How do you know your password has been compromised? Please be specific.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:42 AM

AI1000, MDD1963, Havachat, -- from this kind gentleman's other thread, this snippit:  "...The requirements are from a home router with a fixed ISP..."   If that is the situation here, then: perhaps corporate/enterprise-level, server-based security/monitoring is not the situation here?

Edited by RolandJS, 16 June 2016 - 06:47 AM.

#11 Thelps

Thelps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

For the most part this thread seems to be looking for justifications to assist, rather than actual assistance. That seems strange since the forum contextualizes this as a place possible to seek assistance.

Since no useful contacts or further information has been provided I'll take my queries elsewhere.

Edited by Thelps, 16 June 2016 - 07:03 AM.

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

For the most part this thread seems to be looking for justifications to assist, rather than actual assistance.

More often than not, providing assistance on a computer forum entails asking questions regarding the specifics of the problem.

Since this is a public forum I'm forced to be very careful about what information I provide.

Why can you not tell us how you know your password has been compromised?

#13 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

Sounds to be a young kid looking for a way to exploit his mates and claim the L337 Hax0r of his Dota 2 group.

This is why i dont answer these types of threads unless they specifically answer questions given by people helping out, and as haveachat has pointed out, apparently the bloke is a computer wiz!

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

Welcome new-found Thelps!  :)

[Amended]

Edited by RolandJS, 20 June 2016 - 05:52 AM.

#15 Thelps

Thelps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

I'm hesitant to provide too many details about my setup here since this is a public forum. I know that useful information provided as answers could be helpful to people who have similar problems, since search-engine queries could turn up this thread.

Security is my priority and one of the first rules of that is to ensure not too many details are made public.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Johnny Jammer:

Thanks man, good to know you're promoting the integrity of the thread...

I don't ever hack people. I know what it's like to be hacked and don't want to promote that kind of activity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone who thinks they're very much an expert would care to PM me we could take this further. If we make any breakthroughs I'll publish it to the thread for others who might find this forum and thread.

I call myself someone with 'advanced knowledge' (rather than expert) since I've been studying a computer course for a number of years now. I'm not a 'n00b' but I'm not an expert either.

Edited by Thelps, 19 June 2016 - 09:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users