Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Often Should You Shut Down?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 art-by-andy

art-by-andy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

I'm a digital freelancer and I work on my PC all day, everyday. I turn off my PC at night whenever I'm not using it.

Is this recommended or is it better to just let it run?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

An age old debate.

Bottom line (in spite of other opinions): Windows 98 needs to be rebooted about once a week to work correctly. Windows XP was designed to be left on all the time, theoritically, but it will work better if rebooted from time to time - perhaps once every couple weeks or so. Leaving your computer on all the time will mean the various components are on for many hours, and it stands to reason that components will only work for X number of hours. If you run it all the time you will accumilate more dust in your computer, creating heat and heat is the enemy of healthy electronics. On the other hand if you turn your computer on and off a lot that also taxes it so you may end up wearing out certain parts faster.

Your choice.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:13 PM

There is a compromise between the two choices AF mentions. Hibernate. Hibernating saves energy, faster start up than from shutdown, and is unaffected by power interruption as opposed to standby mode. For me, the occassional restart from updates etc. is sufficient.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

Only when I have to shut down or restart. Thank god for battery backups. FC 5_64 offers no issues to being on 24/7 unlike FC3 and Win 95/98/XP who tend not to like the long run times.

Posted Image

#5 art-by-andy

art-by-andy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

Thank you. That was great advice. I appreciate your information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users