Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 goodi

goodi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

Hi there, trust me there is a good reason for me needing to know this so if anyone can hep me I would be greatly appreciated.

Someone is bullying my son but we don't know who it is, they have posted an image on line but they have blocked something out with what looks like a paint tool. It's a photo and there is a pink blob over a number. If I can get the number I can get the person doing this. It's not a phone number but the number will id him and I can put an end to this. Is there any way to remove that pink blob from the photo to reveal the number behind it?

Thanks in advance for any information

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

First: I cannot (ethically) tell you anything about how to get information (especially when it has been intentionally blocked). It is not only a violation of my own personal, self-imposed-integrity, but is also, surely, a violation of tons of privacy laws. For that reason, I don't think you'll get many responses here.

Inquiring about basic photo-editing techniques would be a more practical approach. Anything else I would say would be parental advice - and that's, of course, not why you came here... so I'll leave it at that.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

If the image has been digitally edited there is no way to get the original version from an online upload.

There are ways to fight back against online harassment though. Report the image to the site it is loaded on and they will be able to identify whoever uploaded it and take actions to make them stop

I hope this helps.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

First: I cannot (ethically) tell you anything about how to get information (especially when it has been intentionally blocked). It is not only a violation of my own personal, self-imposed-integrity, but is also, surely, a violation of tons of privacy laws. For that reason, I don't think you'll get many responses here.

Best not to violate the laws of physics either.

Besides that...

There can be some information gleaned about photos by examining the metadata  if it wasn't stripped from the photo when uploaded (eg: Facebook strips all metadata). This information can contain date, time, location, device names and even GPS co-ordinates if taken with a phone. This site here can look at online photo metadata.

http://metapicz.com/#landing

#5 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

Best not to violate the laws of physics either.

Besides that...

? Makes no sense.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

But it does... if you think about it.

Read why in my message here.

blackbox.jpeg

#7 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

But it does... if you think about it.

Read why in my message here.

blackbox.jpeg

Ok, so you're an a-hole. Noted.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

I'm not giving false impressions or giving misleading information.

#9 goodi

goodi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's the deal.

The person dong it we don't know, but they have posted a picture on Twitter, this picture isn't irectly related to what's going on but it is the person doing it under a fake name Twitter acount.

They have uploaded a photo and on that photo is a number that would ID them but they have put a pink splodge with what looks like paint over it to hide the number.

I'm not aking anyone to do it for me, just is it possible to take that photo from Twitter and remove that pink splodge to see the number behind it!

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

No.

The data has been changed. The pink splodge is now where the other data was, what was there no longer exists. It's not like a canvas where you can remove the paint to reveal something hidden underneath.

Sorry I can't give you a more helpful answer.

Edited by TsVk!, 15 June 2016 - 08:52 PM.

#11 goodi

goodi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:41 AM

No.

The data has been changed. The pink splodge is now where the other data was, what was there no longer exists. It's not like a canvas where you can remove the paint to reveal something hidden underneath.

Sorry I can't give you a more helpful answer.

No, that's a really helpful answer, I'm not up to speed on stuff like this so was just clutching at straws.

Thanks again for the help.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

I would like to remind all the members involved in this discussion that contributions are expected to be courteous in their nature. While disagreement and differences of opinion are expected it is also expected that they will be expressed politely. From the forum rules -

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

@goodi

I agree with the above opinions that there is probably little data to be recovered from the image. From your time stamp it is likely that you live in the UK, have you considered taking this to the police ?

Your other options are to contact the web-sites displaying this material and asking for it to be taken down, as already suggested. However bullying does not take place in a vacuum. With the exception of sexual stalkers it is almost always done by someone the victim knows - a fellow school child, student or work colleague. If he is still at school, or even college, it would be worth your while having a word with the guidance staff.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users