Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't sign in to Microsoft Account

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

I helped a 93 year old friend set up a Windows 10 machine.  For several weeks she had no trouble coming and going from her account.  Now She tells me she can't sign in to the computer using  only the password she has always used.  I've tried to reset her password but it asks questions like when she first set up gmail.  I'm not 93 and do have a pretty good mind but I can't tell you when my gmail account was first set up.

She doesn't remember actual email addresses and has not needed to use a credit card for any online purchase from the Windows Store.  As a result we can't give them enough information to reset the password.  She doesn't ever care if she can get back into her email (possibly loose) the account but really just wants to access the computer.  She teaches Sunday School and has typed up lessons when it worked.

I have tried everything I know how to do but would sure appreciate any assistance that you could give.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

Enable the Administrator account.

Create a new local account (DO NOT setup a Microsoft account).

Give her a new password, then write it down on a piece of paper in your wallet (for when she calls you) and on a post-it on her computer..

Then setup the new local account to use a PIN:  http://www.howtogeek.com/232557/how-to-add-a-pin-to-your-account-in-windows-10/

Write the PIN down on the same piece of paper in your wallet (again, for when she calls you).and on the post-it on her computer.

Copy documents/favorites/etc from the old profile to the new one

Disable the Administrator account (so you can use it next time you need to get in).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

you can always copy everything on the computer to an external drive, then reset windows to its default state. after that I would set up Windows without a Microsoft account.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:54 PM

Well, one could enable the administrator account and then disable the need for a password on the account she can't remember it for.

Also, the questions "about when . . ." really are loose in how close one needs to be.  You usually get several and if you're even reasonably close you usually get to the point where a reset is possible, should you wish to go that route.

In this circumstance I'd definitely make sure that she does not need to enter a password and logs in straight to the desktop.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The problem that I am having is that we can't move past the sign in page after the lock screen.  The computer won't give you a chance to do anything past that point.  If I'm missing something, please let me know.  I do appreciate all of your assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:44 AM

Use Startup Repair to access a command prompt

Type "net user administrator /active:yes" (without the quotes)

Press Enter

Reboot the computer

The different login accounts will be in the lower left corner of the screen

Edited by usasma, 15 June 2016 - 05:18 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:50 AM

Thank you for your suggestion.  I was able to get to a command prompt and typed in as you recommended "net user administrator /active:yes" (I didn't put in the quotes) . Received the message that it was successful.  Restarted the computer and it went back to the lock screen.  After that the sign-in page came up with no login accounts in the lower left corner.  I came back in as it normally was.

Thanks for the suggestion.  If you have any other ideas I would sure appreciate knowing what else I could try.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

Can you try Shift + F10 at the login screen to access a command prompt?
If so, try it from there.

Otherwise, try it one more time and see if it shows up in the lower left corner of the login screen without rebooting

To logout (if you can access the Run command with Win + R) type "shutdown /l" (without the quotes)

Regardless, try it one more time - if it still fails, then you have to presume a problem with the OS.

It's possible that this could be due to an infection.

You may want to try some bootable diagnostics (to include malware scans).

Here's a link to the one's that I use:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Then try this stuff (in this order):

- System Restore to a point before this started happening.

- DISM/SFC repair (may not work from the command prompt in Startup Repair - but it's worth a shot)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

- RESET using the "Keep My Files" option

- Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

- RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

- Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition or from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users