Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Program does Windows 10 Use For Anti-Virus / Anti-Malware?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

A couple of years ago I helped my next door neighbor set up her new Windows 8.1 machine, At the time, we downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials for virus / malware protection.

She has since upgraded to Windows 10 and asked me to help her with a monitor-related problem today. After solving that one, I decided to look to see what anti-virus and anti-malware programs were on the machine. I looked into the Programs and Features of the Control Panel, thinking that I might find a program like Windows Defender, but I didn't find any programs that looked like they would be security related. I was under the impression that Microsoft Security Essentials had been replaced by Windows Defender for Windows 10.

Is an anti-virus and anti-malware program part of the Windows 10 Upgrade package, or will I have to find and download Malwarebytes and an anti-virus program and install them on her computer?

Thanks for the info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:35 PM

Windows Defender has been the Microsoft Antivirus program since the advent of Windows 8.  Unless you have another third-party product installed on either a Win8 or Win10 platform which disables Windows Defender it will be active and running by default.

It is always a good idea to have Malwarebytes as a backup since viruses and malware are not the same thing, and many pieces of malware are not recognized by antivirus software, though many are, too.  I also like Spywareblaster from brightfort.  Lots of folks here like SuperAntiSpyware, too.  Having a couple of different tools at hand and at the ready makes sense.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

Okay.

But why does Windows Defender not show up in the list of Installed Programs? There does not seem to be any other security programs installed on the machine. I was going to suggest that she use Avast Anti-virus since it has some nice additional features beyond just virus protection. (For example, it found and notified me that my older Netgear router had a security flaw that could be exploited by hackers.)

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 14 June 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:04 PM

In Windows 10 Windows Defender shows up in All Apps...Windows System...Windows Defender

Or, you can simply type "Defender" (without the quotes) into the search box and it'll pop up for you.

Everyone has their favorite (mine is Windows Defender). 

I know a couple of techs who insist on not using one as it slows their systems down.

They don't do anything sensitive (like banking) on their computer and they backup their stuff constantly - so when they get infected they just wipe the system and start over.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

Okay.

But why does Windows Defender not show up in the list of Installed Programs? 

Because Windows system utilities, and this is one, very seldom show up in the Installed Programs list unless it happens to be a feature not included by default that one installs later.  Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Task Manager, and the list goes on and on don't show up in the Installed Programs list because they literally are not installed, but are a part of the Windows Operating System as a whole.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the extra info.

I assume that if I want to install Malwarebytes and Avast on my neighbor's computer that I should first disable Windows Defender. Is this true?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

You need not disable Windows Defender because every third party antivirus program or security suite that I know of on the market takes care of that as part of its installation process.  It will also turn it back on if uninstalled.

#8 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:48 AM

Thanks, Brian...!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users