Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Admin Password is Unrecognized and Unable to Access Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 angelhlea1

angelhlea1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

I have a Dell laptop, where I changed the password back in February. Just to be clear, the password screen I am referring to is the screen, which follows the black screen with the Dell logo, that is colored and has a square image (which can be replaced by the admin) next to the spot to input the admin password to unlock windows/the computer. I was able to successfully login to the computer with the new password several times after the change. Unfortunately around the same time I created the new password, a person I trusted (at the time) knew the new password when I changed it. Shortly thereafter, the situation with that person turned badly and we cut ties with her. We suspect (because it happened right before that person left), she changed the password out of spite. Since then we have been unable to gain access to that laptop. The laptop runs on Windows 8 (or 8.1, not entirely sure) operating system. We have an Asus that has an option to recover (or reset) the password through various means (an email code, phone text message code, etc), as a safe-guard. However, the Dell only has the option to reset the password by inserting a flash drive. We tried this and did not have any luck. I am desperate to gain access to the Dell laptop as it has valuable photos and important documents on it. Please, PLEASE, help me with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 angelhlea1

angelhlea1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

I should also mention, we do not have the Windows installation cd. We have four mischievous children and there is no telling what happened to that disk.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

Just to be clear is this the password that is set in BIOS/UEFI? This would be a blue box on a black background.

2093-1433798821-64309474e78321d5837cbc37

Or, is this the typical Windows login password?

#4 angelhlea1

angelhlea1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

It is the typical login password.

#5 angelhlea1

angelhlea1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

While I also have that BIOS password, as well, I don't have any problems with that password. After entering the BIOS admin password, it begins the startup process...progresses to the black screen with the Dell logo and then moves on to the typical Windows password screen with the square picture box next to the password input box. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:56 PM

You want to enable the Hidden Administrator account offline using a bootable disk or USB flash drive then change the password of your normal account using the hidden Administrator Account. You do not want to reset the password. This will not work if you use a Windows Live Account to login. 

See this guide. The program referenced has been updated and can be downloaded here. There is also a video explaining the process.

If you need to make a bootable USB flash drive you can use a program called Rufus with the iso file you download. Attach a flash drive to a computer and run Rufus. Select MBR partition scheme with UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box, click the icon and browse to the iso file of the offline registry editor program. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive needs to be backed up first. 

You may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI in order for the flash drive to boot. If there is a Fastboot or QuickBoot setting it should be disabled also. If disabling SecureBoot does not work then enable Legacy or CSM boot in the UEFI settings. Tapping F12 at boot will let you select your USB flash drive as a boot device.

Edit: If you have trouble accessing the hidden Administrator account you can pull the hard drive and attach it to another computer using a USB enclosure or adapter.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 June 2016 - 02:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users