Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen capture software to use?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

Ok, I've had it up to here with OBS.  It either doesn't record any video at all, only records a corner of the video, lags to hell and back any time there are any sudden movements in the game, or all of the above.

As far as the lag is concerned, I was told in a previous thread that my hard drive transfer speed might be the problem. But my hard drive can transfer up to 3.0GB/s! So that can't be the problem! Besides, I can record screen footage with camstudio no problem!

I want some screen capture software that meets the following criteria:

1. 100% totally free.

2. Records what happens on-screen. If the game automatically switches to full-screen, then that's what the software captures. If I can't see my taskbar or desktop, then I don't want the screen capture software recording it. No choppy framerate.

3. Records, frame-for-frame, exactly what I see on screen, at 60fps. If my character whip-pans, the screen capture shows a whip-pan.

4. It can record whatever I see on-screen, no matter what game or app I'm trying to capture. That's something that Shadowplay doesn't do.

5. Records mic and speakers ... together.

6. It's plug-and-play simple. All that bullcrap about sources and scenes ... why do I need any of that? All I want is to record what I see on-screen to a video file I can edit with VideoPad Video Editor. That's it. I don't need it to come with any extra features I'm not going to use. If I need any more features, I'll either get another app or I'll come here and ask for something that has that feature.

As far as #6 is concerned, Camstudio is the perfect example of intuitive use.

Camstudio_Snip.jpg

Look at that! Simple, succinct, and I can tell exactly what each icon does. BEAUTIFUL!

I could set it to record a single window, or the full screen. Or a section of the screen.

If Camstudio also met criteria 2, 3, and 5, I'd be set.

Any suggestions?

Edited by stebbinsd, 14 June 2016 - 02:24 PM.

My current build:

Motherboard: ECS A960M-M4
Processor: AMD FX-4350
RAM: 10GB
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AllenSteve

AllenSteve

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:58 AM

I have tried this one. It is too complicated. To record a video and so many options to make, video will be saved as AVI by default but if there are more formats optional, it would be better. BTW, I recommend one much easier to use and I also utilize all the time. Name as ShowMore, you can go its site and have a look.

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:59 AM

Show More doesn't record full screen gameplay, does it?

My current build:

#4 AllenSteve

AllenSteve

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

It depends. Some games with Direct X can not be recorded in full screen then. I have tried many others like Bandicam or Screen-O-Matic, they don't work, either. So i guess it is the common problem of these free tools.

#5 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

What about Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? The biggest issue for me, personally, when I'm running it in windowed version is that I can't adjust the brightness.

My current build:

#6 AllenSteve

AllenSteve

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:46 AM

You mean what, the game brightness?

#7 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:06 AM

Yes. In Oblivion, there are plenty of dark places. I'd prefer not to have to carry a torch or constantly re-cast a night vision spell.

Besides, recordings tend to make the game even darker than what the original player sees. I've noticed that from Gopher's Skyrim LPs.

My current build:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users