Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive C: looks like E (C:) after fresh install.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

This happened after a fresh install with a secondary drive (slave) attached. When I click on My Computer - properties, I see E (C:). Doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it might be simple to correct. Do I need to do something in the registry (oooog) ?

I might as well ask this since I'm here. How do I back up everything to keep 98se from from crashing ?

Thanks

:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:22 PM

"E" is a drive label. There are several utilities you can use to change those. What os are you using?

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

Yes my first mistake was not telling anyone that my question refers to Win98se (sorry) duh.  I had 98se on this older computer before and put the latest update on it which made the CD burner disappear, plus some strange messages, so I had to wipe down the hard drive and reinstall 98se. This was done with the the slave still connected so the problem MIGHT have something to do with that. BTW, the master is properly jumpered and the slave has no jumper as per the label instructions on it.

Attached Files

#4 Thomas_JK

Thomas_JK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

If you right click the C: drive in my computer, then click properties, are you able to delete it's label (E)?

#5 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:01 PM

I'm starting to wonder if the hard drive is bad or I should not have reloaded Win98se with the slave attached. I was able to get rid of the E, but then the computer worked slowly even after running scandisk, defrag and more.

This morning I started the computer and took a photo of the error message I got when the system halted. After taking the pic I pressed enter and the message continued on saying: " Internal stack overflow - Change the stacks setting in your config.sys file and try again". Of course Microsoft being the kindly people that they are, never continued the message telling you how to do that. :(

Attached Files

#6 Thomas_JK

Thomas_JK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

Hi,

Having the slave drive attached during install, shouldnt be a problem. What did the the scandisk report after it checked the c: drive? Was there any problems?

With Windows 9x it shouldnt normally be necessary to change settings in config.sys, thats a bit strange. With DOS and Windows 3.x editing config.sys and/or autoexec.bat to change some settings was usual.

But I googled windows 98+internal stack overflow, and old Microsoft KB article instructs to edit config.sys as follows:

STACKS=64,512

FILES=60
BUFFERS=40  

That would be the maximum allowed stack setting, according to that article.

If you dont have such lines in your config.sys, just add them. Use notepad to edit startup files such as config.sys and autoexec.bat.

#7 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

Can notepad be accessed in safe mode ? It won't fully boot up anymore. I might not answer right away - have some chores to do.

#8 Thomas_JK

Thomas_JK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:22 PM

I think it can, I'm not completely sure, because I have only used safe mode few times and it was with Win ME. Another way would be to use a bootdisk and edit.com.

No need to hurry with answering, catch you later.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

Remembering my earlier Win98SE days, your c-partition is named E  -- that E name can be changed by you anytime.  I can't remember, does the File Manager's left side menu show the hard-drives' partitions?  If you can see the partitions of both hard-drives in Win98SE's File Manager -- you should be able to right-click, rename, left-click.  Can't remember what the disk manager was called in Win98SE.  You should be able to do File Manager in Safe Mode also.

Would you mind posting your autoexec.bat and your config.sys -- I remember enough that maybe I can help finesse both of them.  I need to know how much RAM is in the computer.  Allocating video memory, extended memory, expanded memory was something I had to do from Windows 3.1 - WFW 3.11; I think I had limited success with Win 95-98-98SE.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

I opened the side of the computer and spotted a capacitor with a domed top. It should be flat. Maybe the board is bad because I just can get the OS to cooperate at all. Where can you buy old motherboards that have been checked out ? ...... Alan

#11 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

Forgot to ask - What specs / what type of a motherboard should I search for that will work okay with win98se ?

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

I think you're going to need: 1GB or less RAM, 1-2 legacy slots [black in those days], possibly 1-2 PCI slots, can have a graphic slot I believe, my memory of those boards is not that good at the moment.  You'll be setting up autoexec.bat and config.sys to maximize the hardware usability by Windows 95-98-98SE.  Buying a modern probably will mean nothing much to W9x.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#13 Thomas_JK

Thomas_JK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

I opened the side of the computer and spotted a capacitor with a domed top. It should be flat. Maybe the board is bad because I just can get the OS to cooperate at all. Where can you buy old motherboards that have been checked out ? ...... Alan

Bad capacitors can cause all kind of weird problems and erratic behaviour.
If you really want to have that computer up and running, you could look for an old, checked out motherboards at ebay, etc. or you might consider having those bad capacitors replaced.

I did just that with this computers K7T motherboard. It had ten faulty capacitors. Several of them had actually blown, they had burst open and leaked.
I took the motherboard out and a computer repair shop replaced bad caps. It was less than an hours work for an experienced technician.

But it would be a good idea to check your power supply too.

In my case, also the PSU was faulty, it had two blown capacitors. Faulty power supply can damage other components, and it was probably the reason for damaged capacitors and RAM.

#14 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

Roland said: " 1GB or less RAM ". You're correct. Someone once told me Win98 doesn't work that well with lots of memory. Something like half a GB is fine.

Thomas : " Bad capacitors can cause all kind of weird problems and erratic behaviour. "  That would explain a lot. The OS seems very unstable. Never had this much trouble before.

Thanks to you both. I really appreciate your help :)

#15 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:14 PM

Be warned: there may be other problems too, particularly if the bad voltages resulting from the bad caps caused the CPU to behave erratically when critical system files were modified. Low voltages are VERY dangerous for computers, and we may just have seen the tip of the iceberg.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users