Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag Beyond Comprehension

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 applesauce10189

applesauce10189

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

So....

My computer can handle playing Battlefield 3, and I haven't played GTA 5 or Just Cause 3 in a long time but last I checked my computer can run those too.

But... Terraria and Starbound are oddly laggy?

More specifically, in Terraria, if I turn off frame skip then the game literally moves in slow motion. Even with frame skip, the game has these awkward intense lag spikes that last for 10-20 seconds, where the frame rate gets really choppy and slightly unresponsive for controls, and enemies that'd normally deal 20-40 damage will deal about 200 damage during the lag if you get caught in the middle of a fight when a lag spike hits. Unless said enemy is a boss, then that's just game over, and defending your self during that time can be hard if you aren't prepared for it.

Starbound actually isn't as bad, it's still a pain to put up with and makes me not want to play, but the only problem with Starbound as far as lag goes is, if you were to graph the FPS on a sheet of paper, it'd look more like a rollercoaster design than an framerate graph, and when the framerate dips, so does game speed.

At the time of writing this, I've made a couple realizations. I have a multi-core CPU. 4 to be exact. I didn't think I did. When Terraria lag spikes, the lighting really freaks out, it probably has something to do with that. I'm going to go see if setting multi-core lighting to 4 does anything then edit this post with results. Also, what mode should I launch Starbound in? I have 4 options, regular, regular with OpenGL, 64bit, and 64bit with OpenGL, I've been using 64 bit because I have a 64 bit system.

Specs:

Win 7

GTX 860M

i7 @2.50GHz

8 GB ram

EDIT: Enabling quad-core lighting has not stopped the lag spikes.

EDIT #2: After playing some more, quad-core lighting has actually had an effect, the game recovers from the lag spikes a lot faster.

Edited by applesauce10189, 15 June 2016 - 01:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users