Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Excel Files on a network share (shows as downloading?)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 travis83

travis83

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:22 PM

Hi guys,

Not sure where this should go. May require some network knowledge.

Scenario:

Users are all on work group PCs (public network) and access their Excel Spreadsheets on a network share hosted on a dedicated file server.

They have some pretty big spreadsheets i.e. 35-40MB

The smaller files open swiftly over the network.

But when you open the larger files it shows the initial Excel splash screen and within it shows the text - 'Downloading' in the bottom right with a progress bar.

My question is - is this normal if opening up an excel file over a network, should it show as downloading? If users are on an intranet accessing files then should it be downloading the file or just accessing via some protocol? Really trying to understand this downloading behavior, or whether this is normal and I can ignore.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users