Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 365

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tiddlypush

tiddlypush

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

Is there a free programme that will read a disc sent in office365, do not have Word installed.  Using Open Office.  Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2016 - 11:24 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Bus Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

What suite of Office 365?  Microsoft has free viewers available for some versions of Office.  Info .

Louis

#3 tiddlypush

tiddlypush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the reply-- I do not have Office365 installed.  I know that there is a free option trial, for a month, but I shall be receiving discs with this format about three times a year so do not want to pay about $10 a month for this amount of use.  I thought that there might be an alternative programme to use.  There is Open Office365 for free (one month trial)  but it needs Libre Office to function, again I do not want to download another word type programme.  Bit fussy maybe!!!

Edited by tiddlypush, 14 June 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#4 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

LibreOffice is a free product. I'd highly recommend using it. Its also a great alternative to Office 365.

So instead of paying hundreds of dollars to crappy MS products, why not just install LibreOffice and take advantage of it?

#5 tiddlypush

tiddlypush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

Sweedishfish  I agree with your comments however I have Open Office installed and have used it for several years - contented.  Libre Office is a similar programme but it means starting again also Office 365 would only be a trial on that system not a fully installed programme.  Thanks for the support.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:49 PM

The following link is to the current version of Word Viewer from Microsoft, which is free:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4

It should allow you to view, print and copy Word documents that you get. So, it should allow you to open up the files and then copy the content of the file over to your current word processor (might lose some formatting, however).

You should also be able to use Word Online for free to view and even edit the Word document. I assume this would include opening the Word file and saving into a format that would work with Open Office.

https://products.office.com/en-US/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online?legRedir=true&CorrelationId=5ff62080-7e12-469a-b3b4-e1d563ceb96a

I think hamluis was asking what version of Office 365 were the files originally created in. Apache Open Office should be able to open .docx file from Word 2007 for Windows and Word 2008 for Mac (see: https://www.openoffice.org/product/writer.html), but might choke on newer versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users