Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do sites ever collect your User Account

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

When you make a search on the Google site (for example), they store your IP address, cookie info and user agent string, correct?

I was just thinking the other day, why don't sites collect your User Account name? They would be able to perfect their advertising techniques even further if they could get the username and IP together.

Then I asked myself, were they possibly already doing this? Especially if I had something like Google Toolbar installed, could it have possibly been relaying my search queries to its servers with my user account name attatched to the searches/history etc?!?

Reason I ask is because I used to use my full name in the user account. I would hate the thought of having my full name attatched to some server logs somewhere with all my searches and history.

EDIT: When I say User Account, I mean the account you sign into your computer on, not your site specific usernames. For example, my admin account on Windows 10 is "kurt".  Would sites like Google or YT know that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

If privacy is your concern use a private VPN to surf the web anonymously,and hide your IP address.getting a new IP address so that nobody can discover your identify through it

Protect against snoopers, data miners and privacy intruder entities

Also no monitoring of your online activities.

Make it impossible to identify the type of traffic or protocol you are using even for your ISP.

#3 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

If privacy is your concern use a private VPN to surf the web anonymously,and hide your IP address.getting a new IP address so that nobody can discover your identify through it

Protect against snoopers, data miners and privacy intruder entities

Also no monitoring of your online activities.

Make it impossible to identify the type of traffic or protocol you are using even for your ISP.

I'm very privacy conscience now, wasn't as much back a few years ago. So as to the original question, do you have any thoughts on it? Perhaps the user account would be kept in cookies that are stored on server logs?

#4 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

I don't believe so. It's a complex field.

This might help.

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi27/p154-27.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users